Thursday, April 30, 2020

Forever in the Middle: Tracking Participation Online



A few weeks ago, we were asked to keep a communication log. The main focus of my communication with parents has been to let them know how to access materials if their child is not participating in class online. This past week, I also sent emails to parents of students who have completed all their work for the past two weeks. It was definitely worth a nice note because what parent doesn't like to hear good things about their child?

Usually when I send email notices out to parents, about 20% of students who have been contacted start showing more activity online. I needed to put together a database that would help me keep track of which students I have been in contact with and which students I need to continue to reach out to. From the beginning of the month to this week, twenty more students total have been completing work of my five classes without needing prompting from me based on the information I gathered using a spreadsheet. The database I put together to help me keep track of any type of communication I have with students and makes it easy to see improvements in participation.

The information on my database includes:
1. Google classroom comments. I allow them to comment and post to GC now since we are teaching online. These have been helpful to respond quickly to specific questions about assignments.
2. Check in forms. I have students complete a daily check in form. Any time they respond, I mark off that they completed it on my electronic database.
3. Email. Any time I email a parent or student during the week, I check that box. Because emails are not always responded to, I also include a column for "response to email."
4. Zoom call. I have a weekly check in with students per class and also a twice a week book club over Zoom. If students are present there, I check the box.
5. Assignment turned in. I assign 2-4 assignments (not including the daily check in form) a week per class. If a student turns in just one of them, I check the box.

I do admit that at first, this seemed like it would be overwhelming, but with the creation of a template, all I have to do at the beginning of the week is make a copy and insert the dates. Then I can use it during the week.

See below for a video demonstration of the form. It has really made staying on top of who I need to check in with much easier.





Keep the magic alive,












Kandyce Valverde

1 comment:

  1. I imagine it was worth any extra work to be able to successfully track student involvement. The video must have been very helpful to your students.=^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts