Thursday, April 30, 2020

Continuing the Connection in Kindergarten




My kindergarten team and I set up a 2-week distance learning schedule for our students when we first heard "the news". We tried to keep our regular in-class schedule in regards to reading, writing, and math as much as possible.  We set up a kindergarten Google Classroom for our school to share information and resources to parents, but after just one week, it was cluttered and it didn't fit our vision like we thought it would.  So, we made a kindergarten website (Kindergarten @ Moreno) that much better suit the needs of our students for our extended absence.  On it we update weekly resources, special announcements, and assignments. This website much better fit our desires and needs to communicate assignments with parents and students.


ClassDojo is the main source of communication I use with parents. I post links to our daily scheduled Zoom meetings weekly in our Class Stories.  I also post recorded read alouds with questions for students.  I help troubleshoot technology issues, which were numerous at the start.

Here are some other ways I have stayed in contact with my students and parents since this closure started:

1.  I host daily Zoom meetings, which started the week after Spring Break.  M/W evenings are social, run like a morning meeting/community circle with a live read aloud.  T/Th mornings are writing and math lessons.  Fridays are for sight word testing.  I have had every single student join at 4 meetings. I record live readings and post in our Class Stories on our writing and math days.
2. I gave parents my personal cell phone number and gave office hours during the week.
3.  I send home personalized postcards each week. These are free Postcards are so cute and the kids always show them to me on our Zoom meetings!
4.  On the postcards, I sent my home address and told the students that they can write to me.  So far, I've received two letters, and package of homemade face masks, and a drop-off delivery of lemons.
5.  I hand-delivered school supplies and treats to my students' doorstep a couple of times.
6. I have held one-on-one Zoom meetings for specific students who have been unable to make our regularly scheduled meetings.
7.  Flat Mrs. Grebel made her way through the mail!

The responses I have received from parents have been very positive and appreciative.  The students love the Zoom meetings.  On average, I have about half of my class at every meeting.  I do realize that many other teachers will think I do too much or even too little.  But, I have found a consistent groove that works for my students and me.  I can also appreciate many teachers who may not feel comfortable giving out their personal cell phone number or address, but I did with this group of parents.  Not once have I felt taken advantage of or disrespected; on the contrary, I feel even more appreciated and held in high regard.  The point here is you have to have your boundaries with which you feel comfortable, whether it be with your live time online and/or your personal information.  This territory was unknown to me just 6 weeks ago, but I have tried my best to do right by my students, their families, and my own family.



working from home
Happy (Distance) Teaching!
Erin Grebel

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are Distance Learning soulmates...lol. I also held daily Zoom meetings for my 3rd/4th grade combination class. I held a nightly one at 7:30 for students who had completed all their work for the day before. We chatted, watched Storyline Online, science videos, etc. Even if students chose not to attend the evening Zoom meeting, the invitation was verification that they completed their classwork. also gave out a personal cell number. I did not feel imposed upon because I acted within the boundaries that were comfortable for me. =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts