Sunday, April 12, 2020

Distance Learning Restorative Circles


Distance Learning Restorative Circles


The best part of teaching first grade is the last trimester.  My students finally “get it."  They laugh at my jokes, they interact together, and they’re learning.  It’s a magical time and my favorite time to be a #firstgradeteacher. 

And suddenly, here comes 2020 and a worldwide pandemic.  Now we are distance teaching, and I MISS MY KIDS.  I miss their laughs, I miss their smiles, and I miss seeing their academic growth.  Yes, I can do distance learning, Dojo them all, and hold Zoom meetings, but it’s just not the same!



So if I’m feeling this way, I can imagine that my students are also going through a myriad of emotions right now.  How can I help my students (and myself) navigate through this challenging time?  It’s time for a Restorative Circle.  The difference is that we will be doing this circle in a Zoom meeting instead of face to face, and our “circle” will become a “grid” of all the students’ faces.

According to the International Institute for Restorative Practices (IIRP),  “a circle is a versatile restorative practice that can be used proactively, to develop relationships and build community or reactively, to respond to wrongdoing, conflicts and problems. Circles give people an opportunity to speak and listen to one another in an atmosphere of safety, decorum, and equality.”  

While a Circle has many benefits, I used my recent Circle for healing, support, and relationship development.  Specifically, I wanted to hear how my students were feeling and let them know they are not alone in their feelings, and that I am here to support them. 

Here's how I held my Long Distance Restorative Circe:  The first thing I did was set up a Zoom meeting and time, and sent out invitations.  I made sure all my students were muted upon entering so that I could go over the rules for our Distance Circle.  The same rules apply as in the classroom:

*only one person speaks at a time, everyone else listens

*we speak sequentially so that each child has a chance to share

*any child can pass if they do not wish to share, but at the end, I always go back to that child to offer them another opportunity to share once everyone else has expressed their feelings/opinions

*we always respect each other and our feelings/opinions

Since we consistently hold these meetings in the classroom, my students were familiar with my expectations.  Still, I felt it necessary to go over the rules again since this was a completely different learning environment. 


Once I had gone over my expectations, I explained that I would unmute one student at a time to answer the question "How are you feeling about distance learning and what are you doing at home?"  I also told them they could ask any questions of me they wanted. I also reminded my students that everyone on our Zoom could hear them, so if they had anything they wanted to share privately, they needed to Dojo me separate.  As I initiated this process, I was amazed to see that my students were nervous about speaking. They spoke quietly and did not have much to say.  My class usually is very open and honest about their feelings, and we have developed a close relationship where every student feels valued and free to speak their mind.  I realized this was a manifestation of their feelings of nervousness and insecurity about this new learning environment.  SO, I decided to run through the Circle TWICE!  The second time, it was evident that they began to feel more comfortable, and they talked and shared more.  In fact, no one passed.  The students were extremely attentive, even with all the background noises in some of the households.  Their feelings were clear, and they were full of stories and questions!

It was evident that they needed this!  Look at this picture and notice those happy faces!!  By the end of our Circle, we were all sharing stories and sharing our pets on Zoom (my puppy included). The kids were smiling, laughing, and happy.  The question I was asked the most was, “When can I go back to school?”  It broke my heart, but at the same time, it gave me hope that they were looking forward to going back to school. You’ll notice I only have 11 students on my Zoom. While this was disappointing, I learned that two of the students who didn’t attend had technical difficulties, and four more had parents who had to work at our designated Zoom time.  As for the last three students, I am having trouble connecting with them, despite all my efforts.  I will continue to try and reach out to them daily and hopefully, they will attend our next Zoom session.


I developed this wonderful relationship with my students this year, and it’s not time to let that go.  The Circle helped us connect and let the kids express their emotions in a safe environment.  It was easy, and it was fun.  I got a little bit of “my favorite time of the year to teach” back.  Not all of it, but it will have to do for now.  


Why not try a Distance Restorative Circle with your class?  If you would like to read more about circles, click here:

https://www.iirp.edu/defining-restorative/5-2-circles


I promise you will feel better if you do, and so will your students!

Teaching at a Distance,
Roni Weink

1 comment:

  1. Hi Roni! This was such a lovely post. Oh my goodness! Their smiles are ADORABLE!=^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts