Sunday, September 15, 2019

With a Little Help From my Friends


It has taken me a long time to learn that there is no shame in asking for help. In fact, this is a crucial life lesson for both the young and the old. Contrary to popular belief, asking for help does not show any weakness of character. In actuality, it shows both humility and strength. Having moved to a new grade level this year, I've had to ask for help, support, advice, and guidance more times than I can remember. Sure, I've taught fourth grade in the past, but that was when, as I've said before, fourth grade was really third grade-- before the golden age of the Common Core.

Over the years, I've learned a great deal about the science and art of teaching, but I definitely have a long, long way to go before I could be considered an expert fourth-grade teacher.  My team leader and fourth-grade teacher extraordinaire, Mrs. Annecchini, is not only helping, supporting, advising, and guiding me personally, but my teammates as well--since three out of four of us are new members of this team. I highly respect all three of these ladies, Mrs. Mackenzie, Mrs. Rodenbaugh, and Mrs. Annecchini for their skill, knowledge, and teaching ability.

In my last blog, I mentioned how much emphasis I put on students developing a GROWTH MINDSET. I certainly cannot cultivate a classroom environment that encourages a life-long love of learning and that promotes a growth mindset unless I become a pupil of my own teaching. I am therefore not embarrassed to admit to my colleagues and students that I don't have "all the answers" and that we are on this fourth-grade journey together.

As I maneuver the road of this upward learning curve, I'm making a lot of stops along the way. Some days I feel so confident about my teaching. Other days, not so much.  But I remember something my first principal, Marty Olsky, told me many years ago. He said that it takes three years to master a new grade level. If that still holds true, I'm nearly six weeks in.

I need to thank in advance my colleagues and students for the patience that they will inevitably show me this year as I immerse myself in a self-directed close study of the fourth grade Common Core standards in E.L.A. and Math. I just started reading a book titled Learning Targets. I'm anxious to see how my learning will impact my teaching and student learning. I've also become very friendly with a man named  Duane Habecker. He has been teaching me how to teach Eureka Math to my fourth graders. (You can locate his informative videos on YouTube.)

I invite you to follow me through my successes, fumbles, and everything in between!


Lola Jollie
Euclid Elementary School
Proudly serving 3rd and 4th-grade students



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts