Friday, September 6, 2019

Embracing Mistakes

Image result for making mistakes cartoon images


Embracing Mistakes


September is officially here and the beginning of the school year procedures and routines marathon is coming to an end. I always start the year by having my students set personal goals for themselves.  On their lists, I saw many inspiring goals like "make new friends," "learn to add," and "learn to read." But, the one thing that I did not see was "make mistakes." When I think about goals, my hope is that making mistakes will always be on their lists. Why? Because mistakes are the essence of new learning! 





If you want to cultivate a growth-minded classroom, you've got to normalize mistakes.  


If mistakes and failures are seen as something to avoid (rather than something to expect), students will begin to stray away from challenges necessary for learning. I make it a personal goal to show my students that mistakes can actually help them develop and improve their skills and abilities. But, as we all know from experience, learning from mistakes isn't automatic. We have to teach our students that they are an essential part of the learning process. 


Image result for mistake quotes images



 Okay, now what steps do I take to get kids to understand that mistakes aren't failures, but opportunities?


"It's OK to Make Mistakes"
Mistakes are when learning happens. Above anything else, my students must know that school is a safe place to make mistakes. We have our most excellent learning experiences from making errors. To help kids realize errors don't have to be fatal, simply say, "Everyone makes mistakes; it's how we learn." I say this Every. Single. Day!  It's a fantastic feeling to see the stress leave their faces and watch their body language change when they hear these words. It makes me sad to think that they thought I'd require them to be perfect. How could a child learn under such stress? I give them permission to fail and realize that mistakes are a positive learning experience. This is a concept that I struggle with as an adult. I wish I had been taught as a child that it's OK not to be perfect and to make mistakes!  


Admit your Mistakes
Whether you believe it or not, your students think of you as all-powerful and all-knowing. Obviously, we make mistakes, but too often we keep them to ourselves. Next time you mess up, go ahead and admit it aloud. By accepting our errors, our students recognize that mistakes happen to everyone. Remember, they are also watching to see how you handle failure. We, as teachers, have to be mistake making role models.   

Show Acceptance for Mistakes
When a student makes mistakes show instant support with both words and nonverbal reactions. This is the quickest way for kids to learn how to erase the fear that mistakes are wrong. They need real-life, on the spot, response. Just a simple "no big deal" or "you got this" can go along way. I usually say, "No, biggie, everyone makes mistakes." Sometimes comradery goes a long way too. Saying something like "I thought that was the answer too" or "Maybe we can try something else together" can make a tremendous difference. Make making mistakes OK in your classroom by always emphasizing that mistakes are how we learn. My goal is to create an environment where kids feel safe to share mistakes and try again.  




      
Image result for mistakes images



 Positively Teaching,   
Randi Muehlen
                           

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for this post! Reminded me of my elementary school band teacher. She used say daily, "If you're going to make a mistake, make it a LOUD one!" Mistakes are simply opportunities for us teachers to teach and then celebrate and confirm LEARNING. Appreciate this post, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts