Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Forever in the Middle: Building Classroom Community


Building a Classroom Community


Welcome back to school, teachers!  One of the things I work hard to build and maintain in my classroom is a safe community environment where students feel welcome.  Creating a classroom that feels like a community only takes a few quick and easy steps.

Step 1:  Create a welcoming environment
Teachers are pros at decorating but setting up a welcoming environment really means nothing more than creating an organized and clean space with a few decorative details.  It's not necessary to go over the top with decorating.  If you walk into your own classroom and are able to feel more relaxed or happy, then you've accomplished this first step.

Step 2: Show your students you enjoy their company
I know the old mantra is "don't smile until Christmas," but I never was any good at following that. Having fun with the kids and being cheerful has always worked out better for me.  One new approach I tried out this year and am really enjoying is my Roll Call Question.  Each day, students have a question they are asked such as, "what is your favorite color?" or  "would you rather live without music or TV?" The possibilities are really endless with these.  Then I use my equity cards to call each student and instead of responding with "here," they answer the question. It takes less than 90 seconds each period and students get to know each other a little more as a bonus.

Now, three weeks into the school year, they look forward to the question and I've even had kids suggest the next day's question.  I've been extremely impressed with what effect this has had on the classroom community and it's always fun to see what they say to some of our crazy questions like, "is cereal soup?"

Step 3: Teach classroom structures
We all know that kids crave structure and usually do better in environments where they know what to expect.  This is why teaching classroom structures is a great way to build community.  Some structures to teach are: entering and exiting the classroom, passing out or handing in assignments, moving around the classroom, restroom and drinking fountain procedures, and student versus teacher areas.  Once these have been mastered, give your students jobs within the class to help things run smoothly. Sharing the responsibilities gives them a purpose within the group.

Other ways I build community:

This year I am exploring using flexible seating and I have seen great success with my students. The freedom to "choose where you learn best" allows my students to really take charge of their own success and learn how to make good choices in where they sit and who they sit with. Also, they get to feel more grownup as they see that I trust them to make these choices.

Another feature of my classroom is our class pet, Claire.  She is a two month old bearded dragon and the students love having her in the room. As she gets older and larger, she will be able to be out more as I teach but for now she is in her cage most of the time. Since she is growing and will be nearly full grown by the end of the school year, we even do a weekly measurement of her length to see how much she has grown.  She also has an Instagram account (@foxywaterclaire) because every class pet needs an Instagram, right?

Whatever approach you take to build your classroom community, the most important thing is to make sure that however you do it, make it genuine.  Kids are extremely perceptive and appreciate honesty as well as respect.
Until next time, keep the magic alive.

Kandyce Valverde

Let me know how you build relationships and community in your classroom in the comments below!

Follow what my class is up to on my teacher Twitter @valverderules

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts