Friday, September 6, 2019

Framing Depth and Complexity



Framing Depth and Complexity


Here we are again at the start of the new school year.  As I set my goals and expectations for my classroom, one thing that I like to focus on is embedding Depth and Complexity icons in student learning.  This year, I am teaching a fourth-grade, self-contained GATE classroom again. Something I noticed from previous years of teaching self-contained GATE classes is that students come to my classroom with varying degrees of understanding of depth and complexity icons.  Since Depth and Complexity are two of the four California GATE Standards, I want to make sure that all of my students are familiar with the icons of Depth and Complexity.


There are 11 original  Depth and Complexity (D & C) icons and 8 new ones.  Trying to cover all 19 icons in a short amount of time doesn’t really work.  Instead, as I am planning out my lessons I try to look for ways to incorporate 1 or 2 icons at a time.  Students are generally more familiar with the original icons so that is always my starting point.

At the beginning of the year, I will write prompts using both the name and the picture of the icon.  When I have students draw the icon, I always make sure they write the name as well. I try to give students plenty of opportunities to draw the icons.  My goal is for students to be comfortable with drawing and labeling the icons. 

After we have learned a few icons, I have students use them in a D & C frame.  First, I had students use a D & C frame to share information about themselves. Throughout the school year, students will use the D & C frame to show their understanding across content areas.  For example, we use Rules, Patterns, and Language of the Discipline a lot in math.  I like to have blank copies of the frame available so students can use the frame often.  


As the school year moves along, my plan is to continue to use depth and complexity prompts in my teaching.  Next month, I hope to share with you how else we used a Depth and Complexity Frame in our classroom.

Learning and Teaching with Grace,


Alina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts