Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Integrating Error Analysis with Eureka Math


  Integrating Error Analysis with Eureka Math 


Errors are bound to happen when teaching Eureka Math! Am I right?  I always used to think how could I prevent them? When in reality, I should have been thinking, how could my students prevent them? At least, HOW can they realize they have made them? As educators, we naturally look at a given task and determine where a student got confused or what they did that led them to an incorrect answer. Well, now it's time to turn that torch over! The question that may be arising in your head may sound something like this. WHAT is the purpose of having students realize their own mistakes? HOW will this help them develop in their math skills? In short, all people can benefit from this skill, with the additional understanding that everyone makes mistakes in life. The real key is understanding growth occurs when we can determine what those mistakes are and correct them. Analyzing our work for errors allows students to take pride in their own work.

1 Mistake 2 Mistake 3 Mistake ...No More:

I felt defeated when students understood the lesson, only to bomb the exit ticket or topic quiz. I would sit there replaying the steps of my instruction and think- What am I doing wrong? Where did I lose them? Those thoughts then trailed into - Where am I going to find the time to reteach? Where can I find more problems in such a short time? A deep breath brought me back to reality when I realized that only some students struggled.  Many were on the right track but got off course, and now it was their responsibility to get them back to finish the race. I didn't need new problems, just a new lens. This error-analysis lens allowed me to pull a small group and reteach, while still keeping the rest of my class engaged at their own level.






Aren’t All Mistakes the Same?

The true value is teaching students is knowing the type of mistake is far more valuable than knowing there is one. When students don’t, they begin to confuse their wrong answer from a simple mistake with their ability. Doubt begins to build roots into the minds of our students and suddenly they revert back to not knowing how to do anything. 


We always tell students to “double-check their work”, but many of them don't know what that looks like or what we truly mean by it. When we make this change it opens the door for self-reflection and self-improvement. So when can I start this? Anytime you like.

How to Implement the Process:
1.  Teach students that Mistakes are inevitable and they are vital in learning about ourselves as mathematicians and people in general. This helps them lower the expectation to understand every concept the first time. 


2.  Provide all students with the “Classify Types of Errors” sheet and review each one. I make it a point to state that certain mistakes are more costly than others. From my experience in 6th grade Eureka Math, most mistakes stem from rushing or misreading directions (Careless and Precision errors). 

3.  To build the relationship and rapport, I present error analysis task cards of a foundational skill or mastered concept under the document camera. I ask students to analyze and see if they can determine the type of mistake. I approach it by having them think, “What advice could I give this student?”. As we do this we practice respectfully giving feedback. Throughout the lesson, I might point out a mistake I made, or a misconception I saw other students make for them to become familiar with the routine. 

4.  After an Exit ticket, Topic Quizzes, or Mid and End of Module, I pass back the graded test with an error analysis sheet. I explain to students that this time they are giving feedback to themselves. On the sheet, they need to rework every missed problem to determine their mistake. After they need to EXPLAIN their mistake… that recognizes 
where they went off track 

5.  Expect students to stay at their desks just looking at their problem so here are a few options on approaching this. 

·         Pull small groups for students completely misunderstanding the concept. Students who are on the right track sit next to a student who did well on the exam or who understands the math concepts. The struggling students can ask for “tips” like Rally Coach. The accelerated scholar can be working on an extension activity or Khan Academy, Freckle, etc. 

·         Send students to work on their error analysis-provide the answers on the smartboard. Remember the goal isn’t to get them to know the right answer, but how to arrive at the correct answer. This allows students to work through the problem and determine if their new approach was correct or not. You can still pull a small group or walk around and answer questions. 

·         Have students work at their seats, call the number, and have students who struggled with the problem and can’t determine the mistake come to the floor or an area to work together. Each student has his or her own mistakes so it will still be a learning opportunity. 

Did I just learn from my mistake?


When the student comes and turns in their error analysis sheet have them explain to you what error they made first and was the work they just did to solve the problem correctly was more or less than the first time (usually it is more). This helps students internalize their mistakes and the outcomes because of it. I have students write it as a weekly goal to focus on for math so when I walk around I point to it and tell them to keep in mind before saying their work is complete.

Lively Learning,


Jessica Magana


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts