Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Welcome to the World of Teaching! How Can I Take Your Order? (part 1)

Welcome to the World of Teaching! How Can I Take Your Order? (Part 1)

Teaching can be one of the hardest and most rewarding jobs in the world. Students make it worth it; however there's something that can make or break your happiness as a teacher: collaboration among parents.

Before starting my teaching career, I was a waitress at Chili's for 7 years. I often relate my experience as a waitress to collaboration with team members. There were customers that were easy to please. Those are the parents that you naturally work well with. However, there were customers who seemed impossible to please. As a naive waitress, I would often handle these 'customers' with the mentality "fight fire with fire". If they were going to be rude to me, that's the type of service they'll receive.  

Yeah... that mentality didn't get me far. Not only was I receiving horrible tips, I also felt terrible about myself. It was a lose-lose situation. I realized I needed to approach these 'customers' differently. At first it felt fake, but as I grew to understand the importance of being adaptable; I handled these situations as a challenge instead of a burden. My job was for them to buy what I was selling. 

Here are some tips to successful collaboration with parents :
1. Build a relationship:
It's easy to ignore a parent's email/or phone call or push parent's complaints to the side... Don't do it! That would be "fighting fire with fire". Keep them in the loop (ClassDojo,notes/phone calls home/ parent conferences). Have an open door policy. By keeping the lines of communication open, teachers can ease a parent's/student's anxiety about a transition and/or ensure that a child is always learning. 
2. Show you care:
Before and after any conversation I have with a parent, I always explain their child's strengths. I also make it clear that we are a team. Parents like to hear they are valued and supported.
3. Be adaptable:
Just like a marriage, be willing to make compromises!
4. Assume the best:
I used to assume that a "difficult parent's" sole purpose was to make my job miserable. They would complain or request more from the school and I would either tune them out completely or refuse to work with them. Just like serving, I received no "tip". I felt terrible and even worse my students were negatively effected. The best piece of advice, I have ever been given for successful collaboration is to assume people are doing the best they can. It allows me to have patience and love for all the people I work with. 

"All I know is that my life is better when I assume that people are doing their best. It keeps me out of judgement and lets me focus on what is, and not what should or could be."-Steve Alley

As a result of maintaining successful collaboration with parents, you'll receive huge "tips". Parents will trust you with IEP decisions, will praise you to the Principal, respect your choices, appreciate your work, and support you at home.

Please read my next blog, for tips for successful collaboration with colleagues.

For the Love of Teaching,
Kim Reza


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts