Thursday, October 18, 2018

Reading Buddies



When my daughter was in kindergarten (4 years ago), she would come home and recount with excitement her time spent with "Chloe".  Assuming Chloe was a fellow classmate of hers, I would inquire about what her and her friend did together.  This went on for a few weeks, and then one morning she woke up and was so excited that Chloe was coming to her class that day. After some probing questions, I finally learned that Chloe was my daughter's 5th grade Reading Buddy...which led to many, many more questions!




“Young people will always need mentors to guide and support them.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita

I loved this idea so much that I went to my good friend and 5th-grade colleague (the very next day!) and asked if he would like to buddy up with me.  He was game and we were set to start the next week.  I made a visit to the 5th grade class to tell them all about it.  There was mutual excitement between some of my former students and me.  I told them that my students really look up to them so it is important to model responsible and respectful behavior and study habits.  I brought some picture books over and they were tasked with choosing one and writing three comprehension questions to ask their buddy.  The 5th grade students were practicing asking leveled questions so this was a great practice activity for them as well. My colleague and I got together after school to pair our students up according to needs and personalities.  That very first day was filled with excitement and some nervousness.

The 5th graders come over to the kindergarten playground, they get with their buddy and find a nice spot to read.  By springtime, my students bring out their own books to read TO their buddy as well. Generally, the buddies stay buddied all year and a wonderful mentoring relationship forms.  We do this starting once a month, then twice a month halfway through the year, and each session lasts about 20 minutes.  All of the kindergarten classes at my school have reading buddies now!  My students look forward to seeing their reading buddy and feel very cool when we see them out on campus at other times waving to us. The 5th graders feel a sense of responsibility and importance.
At the end of the year, we invite our reading buddies to our dress rehearsal for our musical and we have a small celebration.  Each year, I am reminded what a great system we have in place for both sets of students. Is this something you could incorporate into your program?

Happy and Positive Teaching!
Erin Grebel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts