Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Using Social Media to Benefit Teachers



If you are anything like me, then you have probably realized that teachers across the nation are taking to social media to share what is happening in classrooms.  I first started following a few teachers on Instagram about 2 years ago and quickly amassed a pretty long list of educators I now follow.  I also belong to several educational groups on Facebook.  It isn’t the platforms used to share ideas that matter, instead it is the connecting of ideas that is important.  The ability to see into someone else’s class has been so impactful on my own teaching.

Here are a few ways social media has helped me and can also benefit other teachers.

 Expand Your Personal Learning Network (PLN)

Good teachers are always looking for fresh ideas and best practices.  Collaboration with teachers across the globe brings new perspectives and insights beyond our own classroom walls.  We are all in this together, let’s use social media to promote a positive place to share ideas.

A Place to Find New Resources

It seems as though there is an endless supply of great ideas from innovative teachers out there.  Many teachers freely share their hard work with others or offer links to blogs or websites like Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) where you can purchase resources.

Professional Development at Your Leisure

While I am usually excited to attend a conference, the downside is the time away from my classroom and money spent on things like transportation to and from the conference and hotel rooms.  With social media, I don't' have to worry about writing sub plans, being out of town, or trying to learn as much as I can possibly cram in my brain during an all-day conference.  Instead, I am able to learn what I want and when I want.  I can watch videos,  try out new technologies, attend webinars via Facebook Live without having to leave my house and more importantly my classroom.

Content Specific Learning

Using hashtags or groups are two great ways to locate content specific ideas. While many of the teachers I follow teach different grade levels, it is awesome to find people are teaching the same grade and/or content as you.  Youtube channels are a great way to find content specific information.

Pinterest Worthy Classroom Decor Ideas

Having a Pinterest ready classroom certainly doesn't make you a great teacher, but it sure is fun to look at all those AMAZING classroom decor ideas.  I have found many great ideas for flexible seating, anchor charts, classroom themes, and so much more through social media posts.  

Showcase Student Work

Why not get in on all the fun.  Try using social media to showcase what is happening in your own class. Let's celebrate our students' successes. 

Is there a social media platform that you love to use for new ideas?  Do you have a favorite Insta Teacher you follow?  I would love to hear what you have found.  Maybe we even follow the same teachers.  Better yet, maybe we become those teachers.


Learning and teaching with grace,

Alina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts