Wednesday, October 31, 2018

No TEACHER Left Behind


Feeling discouraged?  Did the title of this blog intrigue you perhaps because you are feeling overwhelmed?  Then I want to acknowledge the following:

YOU ARE APPRECIATED!




I would like to briefly talk about the emotional side of teaching and its impact on us as humans.  We are not immune to the dreadful 3D's: discouragement, disillusionment, disappointment.

Just this week it hit me like a ton of bricks as I reflected on some test results: Why aren't they getting it?  What am I doing wrong?  Am I effective?  Am I the only one struggling with this?

Then I remembered the phases of first-year teachers:
However, I would say that the problem with this graphic is that it is labeled as "first-year teachers" when I feel it could apply to ANY teacher.  It assumes that we are not susceptible to negative feelings once we have a couple of years of teaching under our belt.  You can google tons of information regarding teacher burn-out and teachers leaving the field to disprove this notion.  Here is a copy of an article that appeared in this month's NEA Today magazine that discusses teacher stress:

Teacher Stress Article

So what can we do?  How do we avoid being felt "left behind"?  I brainstormed a list of things I try to do to get over my negativity.

1.  Acknowledge your feelings and emotions.  It is OK to feel the way you do!  Don't push aside your concerns or ignore them.



2.  Vent!  Seek a trusted colleague and just let it all out.  If YOU are the trusted friend, allow your colleague to talk and describe what is going on.



3.  Set boundaries.  Perhaps the problem is that you have a full plate of responsibilities.  Can you say "no" more often?  Recently, I learned about setting boundaries at a workshop.  The following videos really helped me set professional as well as personal boundaries with others.





4. Celebrate successes!  Focus on your students' achievements whether it be their overall behavior, reading gains, or whatever it may be.  A red dot on a white wall is just that....a red dot.  However, sometimes we ignore the entire wall which represents all the accomplishments your class has achieved and what YOU have done as their teacher.  Don't overlook it....celebrate it!


5.  MUSIC!!  Never forget the power that music has over our emotions.  When I described my disappointment earlier, the first thing I did when I got in my car was crank Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" to get rid of my negative mind space.  Never underestimate the power a good tune has over your emotions.  Last week, our Outreach Consultant taught a Red Ribbon Week lesson to my class and she ended it with the following video.  Thank you Ms. Merritt!  I couldn't get the tune out of my head!  It was so catchy, positive, and fun.  It changed my mindset immediately.  Here you go:


I hope you have an amazing year and thank you for reading this blog!  YOU ARE APPRECIATED!

Gus Macuil
Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts