Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Let's Do This!


                                         

Let me preface this post by saying that I love, love, love everything about the classroom and I have absolutely no desire to ever leave it. That being said, I'm wondering if I'm in the midst of a mid-life crisis. Sigh. I've recently become very reflective about the last fifty years or so. Last month, I wrote about math and whether or not I would have been a math person if my elementary school years had been more mathematically challenging, rigorous, and engaging. Now I find myself pondering a new question: Had I been given the opportunity, would I have fallen in love with science, technology, or engineering? (By the way, I jokingly blame Chris Catuara and his team of techie superheroes, Tamara Moyers, Mary-Elizabeth Quan, Jeff Quick, and Stacey Van Heerden) for putting on such an engaging STEM workshop last week.) 

A couple of days ago,  my granddaughter, Milla, went to Chuck E. Cheese for the very first time. When she walked in and looked around, she said "Wow!"in anticipation of the fun she was bound to have. I had a similar reaction when I entered Chris's STEM workshop. He and his team had transformed the room into a science, technology, engineering and math wonderland. "Wow!" I thought as I noticed a green screen, an engineering center with bridges assembled by students, a Google Expedition center with interactive masks, and Ozobots (little robotie things...lol). There were different centers that had been set up so we could rotate through them. I felt like a little kid again. Every time the timer went off to indicate it was time to switch, I (not so silently) whined, "Awww." Like a child, I didn't want to stop what I was doing. 

Mobile Maker Tech Tubs. Yep. These tubs are magical. The possibilities for student engagement is off the charts. These folks even went so far as to create lesson plans for each tub and align them to Wonders, Eureka Math, and the Next Generation Science Standards. Hats off to this group of experts for their hard work, professionalism, and encouragement. To find out more, go to the EdTech Website on Symbaloo. 

I'm all about leveling the educational playing field for students and removing barriers to success Funds are not a barrier because the district has already invested in these phenomenal tubs. Scheduling is not a barrier because you can sign up for a day and time that is convenient for you and your students. Knowledge of STEM is not a barrier because Chris, Tamara, Mary-Elizabeth, Jeff and Stacey are ready, able, and willing to help. We owe it to ourselves and our students to expose them to these resources. 


Let's Do This!


Lola Jollie







No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts