Friday, October 5, 2018

G.R.I.T.

Could You Use Your Fingers Without Your Palm?

How do you motivate your students? I have found it EXTREMELY difficult to motivate my students, when the times get tough. For the last few years, I have seen a little progress in their ability to motivate themselves by solely introducing growth mindset in my class. My students clearly knew the difference between Growth and Fixed Mindset. My students had the best intentions; however, they did not have the stamina to achieve their goals.

As a child, my most valued accomplishment was receiving the Award for Perseverance. At the time this award met a lot because it was a plaque given to one student from the whole school (I was unsure what perseverance even meant). It was not until later did I realize the importance of perseverance and how it plays a huge role in my success. So how do I help my students instill this skill?

Grit is important because it is a driver of achievement and success, independent of and beyond what talent and intelligence contribute. Being naturally smart and talented are great, but to truly do well and thrive, we need the ability to preserve. Without grit, talent may be nothing more than unmet potential. It is only with effort that talent becomes a skill that leads to success (Duckworth 2016)

At the end of last year, I went to a professional development training called Motivation, Mindset, and Grit: Practical, Proven Strategies to Increase Learning(which I strongly recommend attending). I walked away with some important insights.

1. They compared G.R.I.T. with being the palm of a hand and growth mindset as being the fingers. You can use your palm without your fingers, but you can't you use your fingers without your palm. Student not only need the ability to believe they can become smarter; they need the reliance and perseverance to achieve their goals.
2. Personal goals need to be measurable. My students and I write a short term goal every Monday morning. On Friday, we check to see if it if they have been met.




3. Social emotional skills need to be fit into the curriculum!!

Here is the activity I did with my class to introduce G.R.I.T.
(To make the egg bounce soak it in vinegar for a day)



Sorry about the video quality...we're constantly learning from our mistakes in this classroom.




For the love of teaching,

Kimberly Reza



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts