Thursday, January 25, 2018

Mathematically Speaking!

Mathematically Speaking!


Getting our students to use and clearly comprehend academic language in math (and any other subject area for that matter) is not an easy task.  We know how difficult the Lexile level is for most standardized tests and understand how imperative it is that students can read and take in the terminology.  What if you could address these academic vocabulary words daily without taking a lot of time out of your busy day?



In this blog post, you’ll read about some different ways to turn your students into mathematical speakers!

Asking my students again and again what the word “sum” means always gets quite irritating.  “Boys and girls, I know you’ve heard this word ever since ___(insert grade level here).”  I don’t want to make my students feel bad, but I also want to hold them accountable for knowing their academic language especially when the word is not new to them!  How can I get my students to proficiency on a test if they can’t understand the language provided?  After thinking logically about ways to increase comprehension and vocabulary in math, I realized that a good old point system with rewards always seemed to do the trick.  However, I also knew that I couldn’t stop there.

Using some of these strategies will not solve all of your students’ academic language needs, but they’ll at least get kids motivated to participate and try harder to use more mathematical words.  Here are some of the things I do:

  1.   Write “Mathematical Speakers” on the board.  I write this on my white board because it needs to be seen the entire week.  Every time students use math vocabulary, I reward a tally mark next to their name.  The board starts off blank and each name only makes it onto the board once they earn a point (see picture at the top of the blog).  I use sticker charts in my class, so for each point received, a sticker is earned.  Once students fill up their sticker charts, they get to choose a prize from the prize box.  Each time a student receives a point, the class cheers for him or her.  I’ve even heard one of my boys say, “Alright!  You’re a mathematical speaker now!  Woo hoo!” :)
  2. When a student shares a response and does not use academic language, I simply say, "Can you restate that like a mathematician would?" The student then has to reach into his or her academic tool bag to come up with the proper vocabulary.
  3. Include important academic language/math vocabulary in your room where kids can access it.  Underneath my mathematical speakers area, I have “Math Words of the Week”.  Some of your words might stay up the whole year, and others you’ll need to update weekly.  When my students find a word during the lesson that is not on the board, they share it out loud and receive a Mathematical Speaker point.
  4. Box, underline or highlight important vocabulary words within your lessons.  When we read directions together and/or word problems, we always box the verbs so that we are aware of the action that needs to be taken.  For every verb, we number the steps.  If a problem has three verbs, then the students have three steps to complete.  We also identify and annotate other key words.  For example, if we come across the word product, we’ll highlight it and draw a multiplication sign or annotate “the answer to a x problem” above the word.
  5. During cooperative learning structures, I walk around to listen to my students' conversations.  I let them know that I'm looking for students to use their math vocabulary like mathematicians.  When I hear students using these words, they receive more stickers.  I also might stop the class to bring attention to an awesome word or conversation that I heard.
  6. Create diagrams for students to copy or paste into their math journals.  Ask students to help you label each part of the diagram. See example below:
  7. Design a Kahoot or some other formative assessment to continuously spiral through math vocabulary words. The more they practice and have access to this language, the better.

These are just some of the things we like to use during math time.  I’m sure you have many creative and helpful ideas, and I’d love to hear about them!  Please comment below about some of the things that work well for you!

Educating together,
Kimberly Smith Loya


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts