Friday, January 12, 2018

Let's Talk About Math Intervention






Let’s Talk About MATH INTERVENTION!
Intervention.  RTI.  Whatever you call it, it’s happening every day in all of our schools.  Most of the time it’s to help our struggling readers get caught up on skills they need more time with.  What are we doing for our students who need the extra boost in math?

confused-student-girl-Getty-Images1.jpg


Students who struggle with math do so for a variety of reasons.  They may start school already behind because they don’t know their numbers or didn’t attend Kindergarten.  Maybe they lack academic support at home.  Perhaps their home lives are a mess and school is the last thing on their mind.  


Unfortunately, this describes many students sitting in our classrooms today.  And the fact of the matter is, while these situations are sad and real, we can’t control any of it.  We can only control what happens within the four walls of our classrooms.  So the question becomes, what do we do about our children who are struggling in math?  A)  Do we employ the never-effective “louder and slower” technique?  B)  Give them more problems in the practice set?  C)  Assign extra homework to do with a grown up who maybe also doesn’t understand the math?  D)  Give up and teach an algorithm/shortcut/trick to get them there?  Hint:  The answer is E, none of the above, and I hope you agree.  Math isn’t working for them, school isn’t working for them.  It’s our professional duty to mix it up and try something different.  






The different I’m talking about isn’t taking place before or after school.  We all know that some of the students that need that extra help the most, just don’t show up to those extra classes.  I’m talking about providing small group between the bells intervention during the math block you already teach.  It’s possible, I promise!  I’ve gotten creative with my math time and have managed to work it in for a majority of my instructional days. My next post will break it all down for you!  


You may be thinking, “That’s great for you, but I could never do that.  I don’t have that kind of time in my day.  I have a gigantic class.  I have a ton of behavior problems.  I don’t know how to plan for that or what resources to use.” Let’s turn that frown upside down!  Those are completely valid concerns, and I hear you.  

However, instead of focusing on why it won’t work, let’s look why it can.  Rather, why it NEEDS to.  It’s about equity.  Equity in time devoted to the core subjects, and equity provided to our learners.  If we are willing to put in the extra effort for reading by differentiating lessons and scaffolding, it’s crucial that we do the same for math.  

I suppose you’re wondering how to make this happen and manage it.  Good!  I’m happy to hear it.  Come back to my next blog post when I explain how I’ve set up my math class to make this happen!  Or, if you just can’t wait, email me and I’ll give you a preview.  Want to see this in person?  Schedule a Spotlight Visit, I’d love to meet you.  
Sabpic.jpg
Mathematically yours,
Sabrina Blake

sabrina.blake@omsd.net


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts