Thursday, January 18, 2018

New Year--Fresh Start

New Year--Fresh Start!


I remember my excitement as a child at the
end of every school year. Teachers would
clear out their cupboards, closets, and
desks. I loved pilfering through the mounds
of discarded school stuff. Partially-
completed workbooks, dittoed worksheets,
teachers manuals, partially used crayons
and pencils. “You’re throwing THAT away?
Preposterous! It’s still good.” It all held
possibilities. I get that same feeling of
giddiness when I pass the giveaway counter at my own school.

In fact, that’s where I found this phenomenal book titled Summarization in Any Subject by
Rick Wormeli. I just started reading it, but already it has prompted me to take a closer look
at my practice. This sentence, in particular, stopped me dead in my tracks:


If you truly care about what your students take with them at the end of the school
year, then it’s easier to choose summarization and reflection activities
over coverage.

He then went on to write:

Unfortunately, when you don’t provide students with the time they need to
reflect on such topics and to reach and apply new understanding, you limit
their learning.

If you truly care about your students…??? Limit their learning…??? O.K., Rick. Now this is
personal.



Pause. Rewind. Wait. Read again. Take a deep breath. Reflect. Am I giving my students the
time they need to process information so that it can enter into their long-term memories?
Hmmm…? Good question. And the answer is Probably not.



In the classroom, time is both our greatest ally and our fiercest enemy. Every minute is crucial One fact remains. There is never going to be enough time. That is outside our
control. What we can control , though, is how we structure the time that we are allotted so
that it reaps the most benefit for our students.

My New Year’s Resolution is to stop talking and periodically Wait. Strike that frequently allow students time to summarize new learning.  Not affording students this time would be like eating a
magnificently prepared meal, but not taking the time to chew and digest. Our
students need to metaphorically chew and digest as they learn. This will provide my
students the opportunity to:

  • process information with one another (This is a great time to use a Kagan structure)
  • retrieve information from their mental filing cabinet so they can connect the dots.
  • “empty out” their short-term memories.


Here’s hoping that my resolution will be part of the 8% that succeed. I’ll let you know next
January!


                                  
  Learning as I go,
Lola E. Jollie





No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts