Monday, December 2, 2019

Sub Folders, Anyone?

Have you every felt the dread of returning from a day out of your class unsure of the sub notes?  Even the best behaved students are often tempted to give the poor sub a run for their money.  This year I have implemented Sub Folders in my classroom to help curb misbehavior when I have a scheduled day off.  Let me tell you about it...



At my district, I am often out of the classroom to attend professional development, induction mentor meetings, coaching collaborative meetings, and other needed items that are not "sick" days.  Since I know beforehand when these dates are scheduled, I can plan accordingly.  This year I decided to create Sub Folders and introduce them to my students as an incentive to: behave, stay-on-task, and help the substitute accomplish the items that are left for the class to complete.  Also, it is a great way for students to not be "surprised" about the day.  They explicitly know what they are to complete and the expectations that they need to meet.



Please keep in mind that these folders do not work if you have an unexpected absence such as emergency or personal sick day.  These folders were created for those dates that you know you will be out on district business.  Here is how I have used them:

1.  Every student receives a red folder that has a "Sub Folder" label in front.
2.  Every folder has a copy of our school site's PBIS classroom expectations matrix.  This matrix includes a column for "Sub Days" on it.  We highlight this column and the first activity students complete on a sub day is to review this column WITH THE SUB in order to hold them accountable for their behavior.
3.  The folder includes every packet or worksheets that they will be using for the day.  They organize these in the order they will complete it.  Students also place their current reading book inside the pocket of the folder so they have quick access to their folder.
4.  The last activity of the day BEFORE I leave includes a review of all items in the folder and students leave their folders on their desk or chairs in order to get right to work when the sub comes to class on the following day.
5.  Most items are left inside their folders so I can check them the next day or I might have the sub instruct them to take items home.



Please keep in mind that this system may not be for all of you.  Perhaps you feel it is too much work or extra planning but I have noticed a change in demeanor from my students when we prepare our folders and the activities that will go in them.  I noticed that my students get excited to know exactly what will be happening in my absence and  I feel students benefit from "sharing" in the responsibility of having a successful sub day.



Our class also had an awesome discussion about subs that are not very "helpful" and how some subs allow the class to misbehave.  We shared how we felt about this and I did acknowledge that sometimes they may receive a sub that doesn't work out for them.  However, we stressed the fact that, in those rare occasions, THEY need to be the "sub" in the sense that the class understands the expectations and how to behave regardless of who is subbing for the day.  I recently came down with a terrible cough and cold and had to call in two days in a row.  When I returned, I was relieved to find such incredible notes from two different subs.  I was so proud of my class because I knew that they had made an incredible effort to maintain the appropriate behavior even without the use of Sub Folders since I did not anticipate the sickness and had to send my plans digitally to our site secretary.  I realized when I returned that my students had truly internalized expectations.   Isn't that what we strive for as teachers?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts