Sunday, December 8, 2019

Don't Ignore, Restore Part 2


Don’t Ignore, Restore Part 2


Last month I wrote about restorative practices and how they are directly tied to building relationships in the classroom. The practice lets your students know that you care and want to help them become better learners every day! I started with positive reinforcement to remind us that we should always begin with the care and love, before proceeding to target the negative behaviors. Kids are looking to feel loved and cared for, because as Dr. Jessica Stephens states, “There is no such thing as a “bad kid”- just angry, hurt, tired, scared, confused, impulsive ones expressing their feelings and needs the only way they know how. We owe it to every single one of them to always remember that.”

“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~Maya Angelou 

Restorative Practice aims to build classroom community supported by clear agreements and fostering authentic conversations to create a positive environment within and out of the classroom. You may be thinking, well this approach may not work for all students and you are probably right, but just because it does not work for 1 or 2 students, doesn’t mean it’s not working for the many more. I previously stated, in last month’s blog, that students need to have buy-in, feel like they have a voice, and feel valued to engage on the learning road. I’m telling you it’s not an easy road to success right away, because, like all good things in this world, this will take time, consistency, and trust from all involved.
“The road to success is always under construction.” ~Author Unknown

I want my students to understand that “We” as a classroom community” are all in this together and we will find what works when problems occur. I want my students to understand that I will not give up on them. I need my students to know that we are stronger together. We will work through the good times and the bad times. Here are a few examples of what happens in my class for preventative measures or corrective instruction.
Classroom Ideas:  
a)      I begin the year with a “Classroom Contract” where students team up to set our classroom expectations to collaborate and lead with positivity. We then sign the contract to ensure we all understand the expectations and plan to uphold them for the whole school year.
b)      I hold monthly Community Circle- Talk, Talk, Talk… Discuss Topics of Positive Characteristics
c)      Skit Reflection- Give the topic on Positive Characteristics and have students create skits (with a small group) to perform in front of the class. Students will demonstrate how positive interactions affect our feelings, compared to negative interactions affecting our feelings.
d)      If a student does not follow the expectations, I hold a Teacher and Student Conference to discuss the problem with these questions: What went wrong? Did I take some thinking time, before I reacted? What are some ways I could have reacted in a positive way? If it happens again, what are some steps I can take to make better choices?
e)      Conference with Parent and Child- if the behavior continues, then get to know your student more, by meeting with parents and student early on, when behavior occurs. I want to understand what is going on at home and get to know my student better.

When understanding and compassion take place in your classroom, you are empowering strong children that will feel loved and valued. Once that is taking place, there is a magical feeling in the classroom that goes beyond the learning; it’s the heart of family community that will not only lookout for one’s success, but for the success of all.  

Live, Love, Teach!

Hilda Sanchez





No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts