Tuesday, December 17, 2019

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

R-E-S-P-E-C-T This Is What It Means To Me

Gilbert paced up and down the back row of my 6th-grade classroom one early September afternoon. I knew he struggled with Math, and the problem his table was working on proved to be more than he could handle. To say he felt frustrated would be an understatement. However, I already knew this about Gilbert. His fifth-grade teacher had shared just that with me. That Gilbert can get easily frustrated when faced with a challenge he could not conquer. The other piece of this dilemma, shared with me by his previous teacher, is that when Gilbert could not find the answer he was seeking, he would turn to distract others. He would participate in off-task behavior and even become a bit violent with himself to avoid the task at hand. I knew that I had to approach this situation carefully. I wanted to get Gilbert on my side. 
  

Teammates 

I called Gilbert over to my desk and asked if he could sit next to me. I began our conversation by sharing a personal story with him. A story about me, my struggles as an English Learner, in a classroom where I felt like an outsider. I did not fully understand the language, what my teacher was asking me to do, or even what my peers giggled about during play centers. However, I did understand one thing, and it was the love and patience Mrs. Androlli demonstrated to all of the students in her class. 

I understood where Gilbert was coming from, and at that moment, he realized that as well. He knew that my goal was for my students to see that I respected them; I valued them, and that they are an essential piece to our classroom. Gilbert and I made a pact that afternoon. I told him that I was on his side, on his team, and that as long as he and I understood that we were each going to put in 100% into our goals that year, we could not fail. Gilbert walked back to his seat that September afternoon, sat with his team, and carried out his role in solving that problem- to the best of HIS abilities. 

Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future. -Maria Montessori

Respect- A Two-Way Street 

1. I have always found that respecting your students' individual personalities will give you the most buy-in from your students.

2. Each child is different. They react differently to situations, they perform differently on any given task, and they will also demonstrate their gratitude to you in very different manners. Honor these differences, nurture these differences because this is what makes our students unique, and they will thank you in their unique way for valuing who they are.

3. Remind your students that it is not you vs. them. You are on the same team as your students. Their goals are yours, their struggles are yours, and their successes are also yours. 

Gilbert finished the year successfully. Gilbert did not have one outburst that year. He was not sent to the office. He was not off task. He was a leader. 
Gilbert is set to graduate High School this year. He stops by and visits me at least once a year. We exchange stories, and we laugh, we reminisce. I'm not sure if he knows this, but to this day- his story of success is one of my favorites to share. 

Sharing her stories with you, 
Yvonne Milian 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts