Thursday, October 24, 2019

Restorative Practice Part 1


Don’t Ignore, It’s Time to Restore


Focusing on your classroom targets? Hopefully it's been a smooth practice and whatever the targets may be, I hope you always keep the little humans in your classroom in the forefront of your planning, making it the best learning experience possible. This month you may want to focus on restorative practice for positive reinforcement within the learning environment of your classroom. Did you know that restorative practices are directly tied to building relationships in the classroom? The practice lets your students know that you care and want to help them be a better learner every day! Believe me, I was a Teacher that initially came into the practice using a “Flip Card” chart and “Name on the Board” to address student behavior. I was taught to hold students accountable with the instant consequence in hopes of an instant reflection to make better choices. Initially the idea seemed great because we thought students were going to realize that the choice he/she had made was not good and would eventually want to be back on the positive track. Interestingly, the same names continued to appear on the board. 

Students will change for the positive when they have a sense of belonging to a caring environment.

Then came restorative practice and I immediately thought, “How will I hold children accountable, if they don’t see the immediate consequence?” I had trouble with the idea, until one day, I was talking to my older brother about work. We were talking about how education has changed over the years. As kids, we were taught to respect the teacher no matter what and if we did not respect the Teacher, there were consequences at home as well. If we had our name written on the board, clip down or change our card to red was a scary thought. The thought of going home and having the “How was your day?” conversation was a thought that brought fear and anxiety, knowing our parents would be disappointed in us. Our goal, as kids, was to make our parents proud and if we did not meet that goal, it was going to be a bad day. Then my brother goes on to say something that now sticks in my mind, “You know, I really believe Teachers can ruin your life.” Being a Teacher, I was truly sad that he would think this way. I asked why he would think this because in my mind, we (Teachers) are here to help and encourage our kids to a better future. He then replied, “I hated some of my teachers because I was always put on the spot and punished for things I didn’t feel comfortable doing. I didn’t always want to share because I was embarrassed. Speaking and writing were difficult and I was called out for it as a punishment… there are moments I never forgot because I felt targeted.” This was difficult for me to hear because in my heart, I was really hoping that I have not been that Teacher who made a student feel targeted.

“It’s easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” ~Frederick Douglas

I began to look at restorative practice in a different light, not because I was told to do so, but more because I knew, I had some reflecting and growing to do as an Educator. I needed to look at my kids differently, knowing that they are walking in my classroom to feel loved, cared for, and ready to learn because being away from Mom and Dad for half the day is not easy. It made me think that many walk in feeling uneasy and scared that they won’t be understood for a long period of time; therefore, I needed to give them a positive start each and every day. I knew I had to learn more about their life story and teach them how to communicate with peers and myself. I would still hold them accountable for the negative choices, but not until I gave them a fair opportunity of a positive start within my classroom.

If you are interested in providing this positivity for your students, here are some ideas to get you and your students in making positive choices:
1.      Class Dojo for Positive Points and Communication- set your skills to reward and communicate (this does not need to be posted, it’s just between teacher, student, and parents)
2.      Individual Sticker Charts- students monitor own progress
3.      Clip Chart- Clipping Up for Positivity/Ladder of Success

For Team Building, you can also have the following:
1.      Class Dojo for Whole Class Rewards
2.      Marble Jar
3.      Bloom for Success- Build the Flower, by adding Positive Petals throughout the day

Rewards: (Points/Goals Met)
1.      Treasure Chest
2.      Lunch Bunch
3.      Computer Choice of Websites with Educational Games
4.      Bonus Recess

As you decide on what best fits in your practice, there are some key things to keep in mind, get your students buy-in by having them vote or give ideas for positive reinforcement and rewards. The more buy-in you have, the more students will be engaged in attaining goals and making positive choices. Remember there is no perfect practice, some will succeed and others will fail, but I hope you always have grace and lots of love for those little humans that will remember you for the rest of their lives.

Stay tuned for next month’s blog where I will talk about suggestions regarding restorative practice when student’s behavior does not reflect the positivity in or out of the classroom.

Live, Love, Teach,

Hilda Sanchez
  


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. It is great food for thought. Looking forward to the next BLOG.

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts