Sunday, October 6, 2019

Help! I Need Somebody


Help! I Need Somebody

It is expected that on the first day of school, excitement surrounds the slightly cooler air as summer comes to an end. Anxiety makes our morning coffee a little less potent, while our daily commute seems less mundane and a bit more exciting. This anticipation begins weeks before our call to return to work, but it reaches unmatchable levels the night before. We carefully set our clothes out and pack our bags, making sure we do not forget anything that morning in our rush out the door. 

This experience is not unique to our students, or me; every year back to school is an event across the world. This year, however, marked a change in what I experienced when arriving on campus. My experience rattled me. Now two months into my new role, I am still attempting to make sense of my new responsibilities, all the while juggling the needs of the unique group of students I get to call my own for just a fraction of the day.


Little Fish, Big Pond


For the past 15 years, I have been a teacher, grade levels have varied, I was at home standing in front of a classroom on the first day of school, introducing myself as Miss Castorena, Mrs. Milian, SeƱora Milian…I was in my element, and I was in my routine. That all changed this year. For the first time in forever, I was no longer a full-time classroom teacher; I signed on and took the challenge of stepping into the role as our school Intervention Coach. The change was swift, unexpected, and overwhelming.

The first day of school seemed to be the most difficult. I no longer had a line of students waiting to greet me at the door. I walked into my empty classroom, closed the door, and realized that my world truly had changed. My responsibilities now included a plethora of duties outside of what my comfort zone had been for so long. As the days passed, I found myself reaching out to everyone and anyone willing to help me make sense of things. Questions came to me by the dozens, and time after time, the feeling of inadequacy would take over, and I wondered how many people I was letting down by not having the answers they needed from me. I mean, those that came before me seemed to have it all together. I felt as though I was walking around with a flashing red FAIL sign, and I no longer was the big fish, in my tiny classroom pond I once called home.  Where did I go from here? The answer, I soon realized, was right in front of me!


"The most valuable resource that all teachers have is each other. Without collaboration, our growth is limited to our own perspectives." 

–Robert John Meehan


How to Survive


First, realize that we are in a career where we are natural nurturers, and the desire to take care of one another is innate. Reach out to a trusting colleague and ask if they can listen while you share your feelings for just a few minutes. Sometimes saying things aloud can be therapeutic.

Also, be aware of your support system. On-site admin can be most helpful when you find yourself lost in the unknown; this here is why it is essential to build trusting relationships with your admin team. Their role is not only to protect the emotional well-being of our students but also of their staff. You will find that their knowledge and expertise in the field of education will come as a dependable resource when searching for answers.

Finally, accept help when offered to you. We often think that taking advice is somehow a sign of weakness on our behalf. It is quite the opposite. As teachers, we need to use our instructional practices to aid in the challenges we come across. Just as we ask that our students assist one another and collaborate as a learning strategy, why not put that strategy to use ourselves?

I now leave you with this. I can genuinely say that I would not have survived the last two months if it were not for the kind hearts of my peers who have helped me these last few weeks. They have offered a shoulder to cry on, a platform to stand on, and a non –judgmental ear to listen when I needed it most. I still have plenty more to learn this year, much to master, and mistakes to make, but it is good to know that as I travel on this new road that lies ahead, just as the ever so popular musical ensemble The Beatles had each other, I will have someone there when I shout Help! I Need Somebody! To all who have answered when I have cried out... Thank You! (((hugs)))

Forever learning,
Yvonne Milian







No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts