Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Teachers - it is OK to struggle



It's OK to struggle . . .

To be honest, I was not going to write about this but decided to give it a try anyway - this is me admitting that everything is not perfect, and that is OK.

This is my 29th year teaching in OMSD and I have a class that is difficult - behaviorally and academically.  Veteran teachers can struggle just like new teachers - but I guess I take it more personally because I am supposed to have the answers as a veteran teacher.  

My class is an even mixture of level 1, 2 and 3 on the math SBAC.  There is a small SPED cluster and there is one student on a Behavior Intervention Plan.  


The behavior issues range from excessive tardies, off-task talking, cell phone use, student harassment, disrespect, defiance, etc.  Just as I feel I have controlled one issue, another one pops up - and a lot of the issues spillover from previous periods and lunch.  I have done most of the normal interventions teachers do - fill out PBIS documentation, detention, individual student conferences, parent conferences with a counselor, and behavior contracts.

The academic issues range from students not doing any classwork, not doing any homework, not passing a skills test, and not getting the rigor needed to push them to the next level on SBAC.  Some students will complete the assignment as fast as possible without regard to it being correct.  Students do not work well in a group because they let other students do all the work

To be honest, I do not dread this class each day but look at it as my CHALLENGE to SUCCEED.  How am I doing this?

1.  I acknowledged to myself and to my site coach I was struggling
2.  I remain consistent in the behavior expectations day in and day out
3.  I examine my lesson plans more carefully to see where and how I can get the students engaged and accountable

This Thanksgiving break has also allowed me to reflect on this class and what I can do to ensure every student succeeds.  I am hoping to make their math notebook more meaningful by incorporating colorful foldables into their notebooks.  I am hoping to offer 'choices' for students to show their understanding of the skill and at the same time keep to the rigor of Eureka's lessons.  I start a new unit on Monday and am hoping that "Barbie Bungee" allows the class to refocus on their academics and behavior.

 If you are struggling this year, then take heart you are not alone - I am too.  Find someone to tell and make a plan to succeed in this challenge.

If you need encouragement, then please read this post by Gus Macuil, "No TEACHER left behind" ( https://spotlightclassrooms.blogspot.com/2018/10/no-teacher-left-behind.html ) - he has a great way with words and lets you know you are appreciated!

Teaching and still loving it,

Kevin Stott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts