Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Building a Community of Positivity





I believe often times people see PBIS and Restorative Practices as one more acronym and gimmick; however, it is an idea, which promotes what being a teacher is all about.  PBIS and Restorative practices not just for students either.  Building the foundation of a school community involves all of us, and participating is actually fun and easy.  When I became a teacher, I thought school should be a place where we all wanted to be, and maybe I am idealistic and naïve, but I still believe that we need to be happy in order to add to the contribute to building a sense of strong community. 
            The adults on campus are just as much a part of PBIS, and we can’t ask students to be positive and treat each other kindly if we cannot do it ourselves.  One of the ways I decided to change this is through a Weight Loss Challenge.  I know it sounds weird, but it has been so fun.  I googled a Biggest Loser spreadsheet because I definitely didn’t have the time create something like from scratch.  Then a school wide email was sent out which stated the parameters and time-frame.  Half of the staff decided to join, and on Fridays, everyone weighs in my classroom. Every morning we encourage each and celebrate our accomplishment for the week.  We share exercise tips, eating habits, and a few of us are walking after school one day a week.   Several people have said that is fun, and it makes us interact in different ways.  We are on our second week now, but the next step is to plan a group outing.  Maybe a hike or a night out skating?  My thoughts are health and positive self-identity is a commonality among people, and we can get to know each on another level.  There is a sense of unity and helping each other, which will spill over to being a united and happy staff unit, and maybe bringing that positivity to the classroom.  I am excited to see how positive team building with staff will impact the school climate among staff and students. 
            PBIS and Restorative Practices really are the foundation of community. It was important to step away from instruction reflection and planning lesson because before planning is happiness, trust, and connecting to others. I believe people see more success and growth from others when they trust and believe in the people around them. By success and growth, not just academically, but behaviorally as well. The weight loss challenge is just the tool to bring people together; it could be anything.  It was simple because I literally just asked in an email, and people responded. What is your hobby or activity you can share with the staff at your school?   

           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts