Monday, November 5, 2018

Low Prep Technology tools in the classroom Part 2


Last month, I shared with you add-ons in Google Docs and I promised a Part 2 of my favorite tech tools.  Today I want to share with you another tool for education that is sort of free, but is completely worth the small fee to upgrade for full features: Plickers!

What are Plickers?
View of the Score Sheet for
the Common Assessment taken
last week. 
Plickers are basically a form of a QR code that you can scan with a device to read and store student answers. The students just need a Plicker printed on paper to participate. Once I put questions into the system, I’m able to scan the student answers quickly and keep a running record of their accuracy.  The students love it because the feedback is instant and they can see their score immediately.

Plickers amaze me every time I use them because I don’t comprehend how the phone can do this as easily as it does, but somehow it does and it is completely accurate.

I use Plickers to easily formatively assess student learning as we work through standards. Sometimes it's basic comprehension of text we read and others it's more complicated standards-related questioning. I'll even use them for common assessments in place of pencil and paper because, and this is another amazing part, the program keeps a scoresheet!! Score for the teacher! AND it's color coded so it's so easy to tell who mastered it and who didn't.  I love color coding...Plickers knows me so well!


The scoresheet can be customized and shows the class average on each question
at the top of the sheet along with the question asked. This makes it easy to see trends in student progress.












Here's a video of Plickers in use in my classroom because it's more amazing when you actually see it!




How to get started with Plickers
1. Register on Plickers.com
2. Add your student roster to the system. You can type it in or upload the roster from a PDF. The system will assign a card number to each student. These can easily be changed or switched out as needed. 
3. Print your Plickers. I laminate mine to make them sturdier and the lamination glare usually doesn’t interfere. For some reason, they scan better when printed on light colored paper. This year I printed and laminated one for each student and are making them responsible for having it each day instead of handing them out when I need them. Either way works. I have back ups for forgetful students.
4. Enter questions into the system and add them to your queue. These can be added from your phone or iPad or by logging into the website on the computer and typing them in. Questions can be true/false or multiple choice with up to four answer choices. Images can also be included with the question.
5. Select the question to scan from your device and it will display on your projection screen once logged into Plickers.com. Click "Now Playing" on the computer screen to link to your phone.
6. Scan by tapping the red button at the bottom of your screen. Students should hold the card so that their fingers do not cover any of the black edges and their letter answer is at the top of the card.  This takes some training at first but they get the hang of it. Once they've all answered, tap the red button on your phone again. You can show the correct answer with a simple tap from your phone. This is a new update--now they've officially thought of everything!

With such limited time with my students per day (53 minutes or less), I am always on the hunt for quick and easy (and engaging) tools to track their understanding.  Plickers do exactly that. You can get a free account that allows you to utilize many of the tools in the paid account but in a limited number. Try it out--I know you'll love it!

Keep the magic alive,

Kandyce Valverde



Share some of your great ideas with us by commenting below. What low prep tech tools are most used in your classroom?

Or comment to let me know what you would like to hear about next time. More tech tools or an update on excitement for reading?



Would you like to see Plickers in action? Schedule a Spotlight visit and come watch them first hand.  I would love to meet you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts