Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Slides as Virtual Backgrounds in Zoom


 In the world of Zoom, there are still so many tricks to learn.  One feature I have been exploring lately is being able to use a PowerPoint presentation as a virtual background.  I can put myself into a story while my students see the illustrations behind me.  Plus, I can read the story right from my screen.


The best success I have had is to first find a story on YouTube.  I find one that has each page nice and clear.  I let the video play and as each page turns, I take a screenshot of it (shift-command-4 on a Mac; click here to see how to on a PC). It saves right to my desktop.  When I have all the pages I need, I then drag them into a new PowerPoint presentation one at a time.  Last, I save the PowerPoint presentation to my computer and I am ready to go.


While you are in Zoom and ready to read your story, click the "share screen"button. This screen will the pop up.  Click on the Advanced option at the top.

         👇


Next, you will see these options.  Choose "Slides in Virtual Background".  Click Share at the bottom.
                                                   👇

Your PowerPoint options will appear for you to choose.  Click on the one you want and click Share.  Your PowerPoint presentation will now be your virtual background.  Your live video will be layered on top of your presentation at the bottom of your screen.  You can then move and resize your video.  You will have to advance the slides manually.


Another way I have used this feature is during our alphabet chant at the beginning of our phonics lessons.  I can present the letter/picture behind me while the students see me do the motion associated with the picture.  I also spotlight my student helper leading the class so the students see me and the student helper at the same time as the picture.



Give this new feature a try and let me know how it goes in the comments!

Happy (virtual) Teaching!

Erin Grebel



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts