Monday, January 11, 2021

Lights...Camera...Action!

Like everything else in 2020, Spotlight Teaching has been profoundly impacted by Covid. Whereas in the past, I would welcome teachers to my classroom, I am now posting weekly videos for them to watch on topics ranging from language arts to conducting small groups on Zoom.


To be honest, I really don't like watching myself on video. It's painful. Unlike Hollywood actors and actresses, I don't have a make-up artist, a hairdresser, a costume designer, someone to write the lines for my scene (lesson), etc. As an imperfect perfectionist, I am an expert at nitpicking as I have been practicing for nearly 55 years. Oh my goodness! Did I not fix my hair? Did I really just say that? Is that my cat in the background? Please tell me that the camera adds A LOT more than 10 pounds. 

As much as I dislike seeing myself on video, it's been a tremendous learning opportunity. When I review my videos, a.k.a. "the raw footage," I am able to pay attention to the details that aren't readily apparent when I am actually "in the moment" teaching. For instance, I can't believe how many times I say "okay," "'kay," or "m'kay." Note to self: Stop saying "Okay." 

I would encourage you to take advantage of this unprecedented time in which we find ourselves to begin recording yourself regularly on Zoom. It's a safe way to observe yourself in action. Make a list of "glows" and "grows" so that you can acknowledge areas of success and areas where you need to improve. 

How I Record Myself on Zoom

 1st       Record video on Zoom to the cloud.

2nd      Later, when you are ready to view the video, sign into Zoom.           

3rd      Go to “Recordings.”

4th      Find the recording.


If you're like me, you'll find this entire experience awkward, but tremendously insightful. It's akin to engaging in a coaching cycle with yourself. The best part is that you can delete the video immediately afterward. 

Still Zooming,


Lola E. Jollie










No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts