Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Procedures and Routines Are What We Need!


As classroom teachers, we are used to teaching and strengthening classroom routines and expectations. You work with your students to determine class procedures, like how to transition from one subject to another or when and where to turn in their homework. 

This school year, we've had to create a whole new set of norms and expectations, but they are still based on what we know and teach
regularly. 



What norms do you need to set, and how can you do so effectively? 

1. Norm #1-Keeping Clear Concise Expectations
Helping students understand what is expected academically, socially, and behaviorally is key to running an effective classroom, which means we need to prioritize this concept for online teaching. I mean, seriously-How many of you still have kids ask to use the restroom the minute they return from virtual "recess"? I do!  Interpreting your expectations is key to a well-run classroom, whether it's virtual or traditional. If students don't know what the rules are, they probably won't follow them. Students entering the physical classroom are exposed to a rule-based system. For online learners, class participation and academic goals are now being infused into our students' homes where they can be easily distracted with home life.  
The communication of classroom policies is an ongoing conversation rather than a chiseled law. Remember that the physical classroom is a consistent experience for students, but homes are not. Consistency is key.  Consistent schedules and routines create a sense of normalcy and comfort for students, especially young learners.  I have made sure to keep the same routines I use in the physical classroom and have adapted them for online learning. I have a daily schedule that I stick to and like to use repetitive activities, songs, and videos to offer security. Students can expect a particular flow in your classroom, so you want them to have the same in their virtual classroom. For example, I like to use a poster of Rules for Good Listening in my classroom. It has a boy using good listening strategies. I say, "Who looks like Buddy" (that's his name), and my students immediately react and look like him. I sent home a small-sized Buddy poster with each student. Their families taped it next to the computer. Now I say, "Who looks like Buddy?" and I have their attention. Students know to cross their fingers to use the restroom. They know callback routines are expected. The list goes on. My point is that the routines are taught, practiced, and expected. 
I also created a survey that you send out, asking students their feedback on how things are going and what they need to be successful. I sent the same survey to their parents. Just like in the physical classroom, it takes a village. Most importantly, in these times, we need to use the feedback we receive and be flexible in revising or personalizing our classroom policies and routines when necessary to meet the needs of all learners and their families.



Norm #2-Provide Materials Needed for Success
Exemplifying clear classroom expectations and procedures is only half the battle in ensuring that all of our students have the tools they need to be successful in our online classrooms. It is just as essential to ensure they have the materials necessary to accomplish your set goals. The word materials take on a new meaning in a remote learning environment. In addition to what we regularly provide - texts, workbooks, and supplemental materials (whiteboards, manipulatives, etc.), we can also take advantage of all the fantastic online resources given to us in the last few months. I am immensely enjoying Seesaw, Zoom Polls, a wide range of online learning videos, Lanschool, and Peardeck. Also, I try to make an effort to keep a record of the materials that students need.  I regularly ask who needs pencils, dry erase markers, highlighters, books to read, etc. Then I ask families to do a quick school pick up to resupply them with what they need. Remember, a well-prepared student is a successful student which will make your life a lot easier.  
After providing students with what is needed, it's important to reinforce the procedures to successfully use these materials and the best way to organize them. Students need to be taught and guided on the importance of knowing where their materials are and accessing them quickly to maximize instructional time. Now that I am too working from home, I tell my students that I also have to stay organized. I help them understand that if I'm not organized, I cannot be a good teacher; just like they are unorganized, they cannot be responsible students. I even show them my 100's of Post Its, that keep me organized and accountable! You know you have them too.      



Norm #3- Never lose the encouragement and positive feedback. 
Positive feedback is key to instilling self-worth, confidence, and motivation in our students, but for some students, those kinds of interactions are hard to come by in their lives outside of school. This makes it that much more critical that the classroom should always be a safe and encouraging environment. Encouragement is a crucial classroom routine that cannot be lost in online learning. Without any encouraging words, learners are likely to shut down. In online learning, you can use some of what you've always used-positive praise and cheers, Dojo points, and smiles. But I know we need more, right? I've been using digital sticker/brag tag books on Seesaw. What kid doesn't love a sticker? My kids get stickers for attendance, I-READY, Reading Counts, behavior, celebrations, and completing asynchronous work. Students can view their individual books on Seesaw. I also have been sending home "Happy Mail"- This is a positive note of encouragement or certificate for going up in fluency, passing an I-READY test, or reading books on EPIC. After starting this, some of my kids read over 300 books on EPIC, and I have had almost 100% complete their I-READY and Reading Counts assignments daily!
 

 





 
























































Direct, positive teacher feedback will always be valuable, whether in person or online, to students and their families. I like to take advantage of online learning and praise not only students for their hard work but also their families. I've been so impressed with the amount of time and effort my families have put in to support their children.  I am always singing their praises and building that relationship because, again, it takes a village. Lastly, I've always believed in the power of peer praise. I am teaching my students to cheer and praise each other for their accomplishments. It's heartwarming to hear my students praising each other online!  

So remember never give up and keep on modeling those expectations, providing reminders, and giving students ample opportunity to practice. Don't forget to praise your students and yourself. You're doing great! And remember to give your students and yourself grace as we all adapt to this new learning environment.







Positively Teaching,  
Randi Muehlen

1 comment:

Most Viewed Posts