Thursday, November 5, 2020

Business as Usual?

This is undoubtedly a question we have all been asking ourselves since that fateful March day. It was Friday, March 13th, to be exact (but you certainly don't need me to remind you. In fact, that day is seared in our collective OMSD memories--adults and students alike.) That whole day was surreal. And to add to the gloomy mood, it was rainy and dreary and I was SAD. 

After my students left, I looked around and noticed how beautiful my classroom looked. Student work was posted. The room was colorful. Desks were straightened up. Yes. I had taken such pride in getting everything ready for Open House. Now what? I wondered what tomorrow would look like. What about all of the other "tomorrows" that were to come? 

I was in a funk. I couldn't shake it. I missed my students, my colleagues, and all of the little things that I never fully appreciated. Smiles. Hugs. Lunch in the lunchroom with my friends. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get my point.

In my imagination, I fancied myself a superhero, and this novel coronavirus, my arch-nemesis. Yes, it was indomitable (at least for now), destructive, and did not play favorites. As potential victims of this novel foe, we had to arm ourselves for this new battle with our weaponry of sanitizer, masks, and social distancing. But I had a secret weapon that it did not have. I had HOPE. Hope in a post-virus future is what motivated me on March 16th to embark on and even embrace this new phase in my teaching career--remote learning.

In an attempt to make it feel less remote for me and my students, I have left my bulletin boards and posters up. As the need arises, I am taking pictures of the information on the bulletin boards and posters and sharing them with my students as a resource. Just because students cannot be here in class in person, does not mean they don't need the traditional supports we have in place. 


                                                               


I am so proud of all of my OMSD colleagues for showing tenacity, creativity, and compassion towards one another and the students in their charge. I am immensely grateful to our advocates at the district office who have come alongside us and provided countless resources to empower us to thrive 
during remote learning.


Here's hoping for a brighter tomorrow!



                                                                         Lola E. Jollie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts