Tuesday, March 10, 2020

PBIS Refresher


PBIS Refresher

Here we are already in the last trimester of the 2019-2020 school year.  I don’t know about you, but this school year has seemed to go faster than any of the ones before it.  One of my favorite things about being a teacher this time of the school year is reflecting back on how much my students have learned since August.  As I prepare students for these last few months it is inevitable that we will review what we have learned.  

One of the most important things that we have started to review is school and classroom expectations. It’s important to reteach behavior expectations throughout the school year, but as we get closer to Spring Break I have noticed my students forgetting some of our rules both in the classroom and out.  Last week, my whole school participated in a PBIS Refresher Week. This was perfect timing! As a grade level, we walked our school campus and discussed behavior expectations for each area of our school. In my class, I took the time to focus on a part of our PBIS matrix for the week. For the rest of the school year, we will continue to focus on a different part each week.  

Last week we focused on Line Basics (straight line, hands still, single file, with a smile).  I have a really sweet class that is full of joy, excitement, and lots of energy which is great.  We have wonderful classroom discussions but overall the class can get really chatting at times, especially when we are lining up.  I knew that this was the thing I wanted to focus on first. Even before I knew we had a PBIS Refresher Week on the calendar, I knew I wanted to review with my students.  Here are some things that helped me plan my PBIS refresher.

When should you review student expectations:
  • Whenever a student, a group of students, or the whole class isn’t following PBIS rules and expectations.  Sometimes we just stop what we are doing and review expectations.
  • At the beginning of the year.  My school takes the first two weeks in August to teach grade-level and school-wide rules and expectations.  We even have a PBIS kick-off rally. Usually, the first review for me starts after we have been in school for about a month.  Students are a little more comfortable with you and sometimes need a behavior reminder.  
  • After holidays, and long breaks, and in this case right before a holiday break.  I know my students are excited for Spring Break and even Summer Break, so I want to remind them of PBIS rules and expectations for the rest of our year together.  
  • Ongoing throughout the school year.  You could review a different PBIS rule or expectation every week like I am doing now.  
How to review student behavior expectations:
  • Be positive! 
  • Start by asking students what the expectations are.  The will gladly remind everyone.
  • Reward students, I always have little erasers and pencils that I had out.  We also use Tiger Pride Tickets school-wide. Students earn the tickets and can use them to buy a prize.  I hand these out throughout the day but I made sure to give out rewards for students following the behaviors we are focusing on.  
  • Use a calm voice, don’t raise it
This week we are focusing on transitions in the classroom.  I have continued to reward students for last week’s focus as well as this week’s.  I love how excited students are to follow the rules and expectations. As my students were coming back from P.E. today I opened the door to hear them reminding each other of line basics! 

Learning and Teaching with Grace,Alina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts