Thursday, April 25, 2019

Flexible Seating Part 2


 This was my first year at attempting flexible like seating in my classroom, and now the end of the year is quickly approaching I would like to reflect on my classroom environment.  There are aspects of my experience with flexible seating I am really enjoying, and there are parts I will definitely be tweaking.  Overall, I am truly pleased I took a risk and experimented with flexible seating. The first part of this blog can be found here so you can read how I got started and resources I used.
Positive Takeaways
1.      Welcoming Environment
 The classroom environment is warm and welcoming.  I feel that the kids are enjoying the classroom set up, which is comprised of circle tables, tables of different heights, a couch, pillows and bean bag chairs.  They enjoy the novelty of the room set-up and look forward to sitting in different areas.   Parents and staff have made several comments about the classroom being welcoming and comfortable. The students also have options that work best for their learning styles, whether it is in a group of six, four, in pairs, or individually they have some control over their learning environment.   For me, this is my favorite classroom configuration. 

  2.  Student Collaboration
 Each seating area allows for student collaboration, and still is familiar enough the students can switch back to working independently with ease. It has been a fairly smooth transition for the students and myself. My favorite part of flexible seating is watching students collaborate and build on each other’s ideas.  The circle tables and communal seating lends itself toward discussion; however, making sure that students were able to control when they needed to talk and when they needed to listen took a bit of practice.  Honestly, it can still be a struggle at times.  As a final reflection, I believe flexible seating adds to student conversation and encourages them to share ideas and information.
Changes for Next Year
1.       Seating Contract
My biggest problem I have had is students mistreating the furniture.  Because this is a novel situation, there is an excitement and roughness some students bring to the classroom. They want to move the chairs, or they will hop up on them.  All of my furniture was second hand, so it has already had wear and tear.  Of course, I repaired and painted, but it was not in a place to be moved constantly. With that being said, a behavior expectation contract has been created.  Students will sign a contract to outline my expectation from the start. My current students helped create this contract.  I wanted them to contribute their input on how to respect classroom seating because they were, many of them for the first time, experiencing this setting first hand. Their perspective was important to include.  Hopefully, this will preserve furniture for longer than one school year. 

    2.   First come, first serve   
At the beginning of the year, I was trying to incorporate Reading Counts and PBIS into flexible seating.  I must remember to keep it simple.  The Library was for top readers in Reading Counts, and the Compass Corner was for students who were showing PBIS behaviors and were rewarded with a Compass Card (PBIS reward ticket).  Next year, these areas are going be on a first come, first serve basis with a caveat. In order to sit and stay in those areas, students must show respect, responsibility, honesty, and integrity.  Which will also be a part of the behavior contract that I mentioned previously.  Simplifying when and how the students will sit in these areas, I’m hoping, will add to my classroom management.  Meaning there will be fewer behavior issues because a positive reward is in place for the students, and they will have a choice in where they sit.  The expectation is not perfection, but increased positivity and happiness in my classroom.

I’m extremely happy with my decision to try out flexible seating in my classroom, and over the summer I will be on the lookout for different pieces to add to the classroom. Flexible seating builds responsibility, brings choice, and adds warmth into a classroom. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana
    The topic of flexible seating is an interesting one to me. I wonder if this practice would work with any grade level. Hmmm...? I certainly appreciate that it gives students an opportunity for novelty and choice. =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts