Friday, December 14, 2018

Flexible Seating


  My classroom environment never really inspired me, which is what lead me to actually trying it.   I love how the flexible seating environment looks, how it allows students to collaborate more freely.  I was intimidated to try it because I was not even sure I would be able to afford it, or if I would handle a non-traditional setup classroom management wise. Therefore, I decided to take baby steps and try modifying just parts of my classroom.  I figured I could change little bits at a time, so I could become comfortable with my new seating arrangement.

Getting Started

Library group working on GATE frame.

      Just before school started, at the end of July, I went to the OMSD Warehouse.  I was looking specifically for round tables.  After finding six round tables, I found a vinyl couch and a coffee table.  With the couch and coffee table, a decent sized library area was created.  The round tables are the main part of the seating in the class, but I did keep about ten rectangular desks to give a sense of variety for the students. The traditional rectangular tables are also for students who feel like they need their own space.  It allowed me to create a more independent work area off to the side of my room as well.  It was explained to the students that when they need a quieter working space they are welcome to move themselves and return when they need to.  Next, I started looking on Facebook Marketplace and Letgo for accent pieces like beanbag chairs, a smaller, tall table, and rugs.  These are great resources to look for cheaper priced items, and the pieces are usually in good condition.  If you let the salesperson know you are a teacher, and the pieces are for your classroom, the seller will usually give offer a lower price. For example, one seller on Letgo was selling a beanbag chair for $20. When I mentioned I wanted the chair for my classroom he offered to give me the chair for $10.  The same situation happened through Facebook Marketplace.  I was purchasing area rugs for my classroom, and as soon as she heard I was a teacher, she gave me a small vacuum for free.  People love teachers and want to help us; they know how important our jobs are. 


Welcoming Environment

Compass Corner
For me, a flexible seating set up has a very homey and welcoming feel to it.  Since I changed the seating, the kids are excited to come in and see who will get to sit in the library and the “Compass Corner.” which is a PBIS behavior expectation area. To sit in the library I pick four students with the highest Reading Counts points. When the kids earn a Compass Card for showing our behavior expectations they put their card into a raffle, and I choose three students for the week. Since it is an incentive that the students earn there is a positive vibe.  Students from previous years will even comment, “Mrs. Eberle, why didn’t you do this for us!”  Adults have said my room is “inviting” and “feels so comfortable.”   When I hear that feedback, it makes me believe I made the right decision to change over.  I want my classroom to be a place where my students want to be and work in.

Novelty

      Novelty can be a huge engagement tool in the classroom.  After a UDL presentation, I deduced that flexible seating really fits into the category of choice, which is novelty often times for kids.  We have a lot to be done in a school day, so choice is a novel concept. If the students can stay engaged in their work because of they have novelty and choice in their atmosphere, then the work I need them to do gets finished.  It is a win win.  They will definitely work harder to sit in these areas.  

Collaboration

      The group tables have really helped keep students working collaboratively.  The round tables do not have a storage space, so it minimizes the distraction of going into their desks. Students tend to stay focused on the assignment rather than their desks or backpacks.  The circle formation makes the kids face each other, which encourages them to talk.  My students are extremely verbal, and if they are talking on task with each other then I find my engagement increases.  Plus, it is so awesome to be a facilitator, hearing their conversations, and when they make the connections you want on their own.  It is a proud teacher moment for sure.

Next Steps

       What I learned from flexible seating is that I love it, but there are some changes I will make moving forward.  One, wood chairs are not a good idea.  I have too many students moving in and out of my classroom and wood will not last.  In the future I will be looking for items that are plastic or metal.  If you are using computers often in your classroom, learning LanSchool is a great idea as well.  I cannot always see their screens, so the students understand LanSchool is on and holding them accountable.  After all, they are still kids; flexible seating or not they will always push the boundaries because that is age appropriate.  We have to remind them of appropriate behaviors and let them know we are always watching, and have high expectations.

When you have a minute, maybe over Winter Break, think about one thing to add to your classroom.  Go to the OMSD Warehouse; see what treasures you can find.  When you are on Facebook click on the Marketplace icon, which is the little house at the bottom of your newsfeed, and put any item into the search engine.   Letgo is an app that is very similar to Marketplace and really easy to navigate through.   I try to do everything in baby steps because I do not want to overwhelm the students or myself. So, think of a space you can change a little bit. I promise the kids will be so excited.  

           


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts