Friday, December 14, 2018

SWBST in Kindergarten



     

     A few years ago, my colleagues and I attended a professional development training at my school site going  over the summarizing strategy called SWBST -Somebody Wanted But So Then. We did a few practice summaries, using different points of view for the "somebody" part.
    As my fellow kindergarten colleagues know,  we often have to  improvise new strategies and  tailor them for the kindergarten student when we receive professional development that we are encouraged to  use in our classroom.
   My team and I came up with our own version, including icons.  The first few times I implemented this strategy in my classroom we did it whole group with familiar stories, and eventually the students write their own summary (Springtime-ish).

Here is the SWBST strategy:


                        S-somebody; who is the main character?
     W-wanted; what does the main  character want?
                B-but; what is the problem?
                S-so; how does the character try to solve the problem?
                T-then; how does the story end?

As teachers of young students (or parents of young children) have experienced,  summarizing a story can take twice as long as it should, with way too many insignificant details.  This is a great strategy to teach students how to summarize in one or two sentences.  When  will you try this in your classroom?

Here is a link  to the document I made:  




twitter logo.pngOMSD.jpg






No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts