Friday, December 14, 2018

One-Pager



Have you been looking for a new creative way to have your students connect to a text?  Try having your students make a One-Pager! Its a component of AVID, however, you do not need to be AVID trained to implement this strategy.  Its a great way to help students connect with a text on a deeper level, while also being able to show their creative side. This structure is an awesome culminating activity as it meets the needs of all your kids at all different levels, and will particularly meet the needs of your GATE kiddos by challenging their creative thinking side, but also allows all of your students to be successful.

One-Pagers can be done individually or collaboratively in a group.  "A One-Pager is a creative response to your learning experience. It allows you to respond imaginatively while being brief and concise in making connections between words and images. We think about what we see and read differently when we are asked to do something with what we have seen or read. We learn best when we create our own ideas. Your personal thinking about what you have experienced should be understood by the audience that views the One-Pager." - AVID

I will have the students work collaboratively in groups to create a one-pager after reading the Anthology story in Wonders.  I have my students in my leveled reading group create one-pagers  individually after we have finished reading novels.  I have had my students create one pagers based off science and social studies curriculum that we have covered.  It really does require them to think deeply about the text, think on a higher level, and make connections  to the text.  Students will spend a great deal of time revisiting the text, and in many cases doing further research to enhance their thinking on the topic of the text.  It really helps promote self learning.

Since I have trained my students how to work in collaborate groups, I often have them completing these one-pagers as group projects which really bumps up the rigor and creativity of the work they put it.  the kids absolutely LOVE it!

There are many different things that you can have your students include in their one-pager and I do adjust mine based on the subject, text, etc, but here it is an example of one of the checklists I provide my students with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts