Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Why Can't I be a Math Person?

                   



The opinions shared below are those of the writer and may not represent the experiences of everyone born in the twentieth century.

I have always been proficient at computation. Back in the 1900's, when I was a youngster, it did not matter much if you understood why you were adding or subtracting only that you could compute quickly and accurately. D.O.K. 1 does not even come close to the substandard level I operated at as a child in math. Like a robot, I added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided accurately and quickly--day in and day out. With purple stained fingers from the 1970's copies, I would finish one worksheet anxious to begin the next.

I don't blame my teachers in any way whatsoever. I know in my heart of hearts that they did the very best they knew how to do. And isn't that all any of us can do? But times have changed and so have I. I love math. I love thinking about math. I really believe that's one of the biggest difference between then and now. We now empower our students to think.

Writing is a passion of mine and I relish every opportunity to combine writing and math. I enjoy writing math scenarios that students can use to make sense of math problems. Without a story, numbers don't hold meaning. It's really empowering when students learn how to create their own math scenarios.

"Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms; it is about understanding."
                                                                                                                           -William Paul Thurston


Hmmm...? I wonder if my perception of myself would be radically different if I'd been instructed using a comprehensive math program like Eureka Math and had access to the technology available today. I would undoubtedly have benefited from the individualized instruction and pacing of Zearn and the opportunity to talk through my learning with a shoulder or face partner using KAGAN strategies. Here's the takeaway:  If we truly embrace a growth mindset, then let's neither limit ourselves, nor our students, by doling out labels.

Putting Two and Two Together,

Lola Jollie








No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts