Monday, September 24, 2018

Computers in the Classroom

Computers in a math classroom


My site went to one-to-one computers in the classroom and I have been trying to figure out the best use of the computers in my math classes.  While there has been no stated expectation for use, I want to use the computers in an effective and meaningful way for my students.



Here are some of the resources I have been using with the computers:


Edulastic
I use Edulastic on a weekly basis to give assessments to my students.  Edulastic has a bank of pre-made questions that I can add to my assessment or it allows me to create my own questions.  The program has all of the Smarter Balanced stem questions so I am able to create questions using the different stems that students may see on the CAASPP at the end of the year.  It also tracks students progress on each of the standards so I get a complete picture of how each student is doing in relation to the standards.




Khan Academy


I use Khan Academy a couple times a week just as a quick dip-stick measure of how the students are doing on certain skills.  I have liked this web resource as it gives students immediate feedback as to how they are doing on the skill.  I am allowed to assign each student different problems or I can assign the entire class the same set of problems.  Khan Academy has the skills aligned with Eureka and its modules.  You can also review reports and see how much students have progressed as it relates to the skills in Eureka.  The dip-stick measure takes only about 10 minutes and it gives me some useful data as to how students are learning a specific skill.




Desmos (https://teacher.desmos.com/)
Desmos is a program that uses the SBAC calculator and its graphing function.  This program is entirely free and it has pre-made lessons for teachers.  Eureka piloted several lessons at the 7th and 8th grade level that are now available on this website.  Many teachers create their own Desmos lessons and post them to this resource bank:  

https://sites.google.com/site/desmosbank/

Some of the lessons that I have used this year with my students are: 

transformation golf:  https://teacher.desmos.com/search?q=transformation+golf
scientific notation https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/5aa86b6c99efa4456d109819
exponent mistakes:  https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/57ba19934932cb4a07e421e3

I strongly encourage you to try some of the 'polygraph' activities as they are designed to encourage academic dialogue in very non-threatening manner.




These are some of the main resources I have been using so far this year.  However, I am really trying to figure out how I can use my computers this year to give voice to my students.  I am at a project based school and so next month I will describe some of the ways I try and use the technology to have students make their own choices.


"There can be infinite uses of the computer and of new age technology, but if teachers themselves are not able to bring it into the classroom and make it work, then it fails."

Nancy Kassebaum
Senator from Kansas, 1978-1977


I have been given a gift of one to one computers in my classroom and now I am trying to make it work.  I am also trying to make the computer usage meaningful and relevant - not only for my students but for me as well.  


Excellence is not an act, but a habit

Kevin Stott
De Anza Middle School






No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts