Monday, April 9, 2018

Time Flies When You’re Having Fun


 Time Flies When You’re Having Fun

     Hmmm…Sigh… I guess I’m feeling a little melancholy right now. It’s really difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that we are already in April. Really? April? Where did all the time go? I need a lot more time to teach and my kiddos (some more than others) need a lot more time to learn.

              “How did it get so late so soon?”
                                                   --Dr. Seuss

In preparation for the SBA, I’ve told my students that they have all the time they need, but not all the time in the world. Apparently, the same is true for me too. We’ve officially arrived at the end of the school year. That same ol’ familiar record is playing on the jukebox in my mind. The questions. The regrets. Did I really put 100% into planning and preparing lessons? Did I establish a room environment that was conducive to learning? Was I fair? Kind? Caring? I certainly hope so.
          On the first day of every school year, I tell my students that I’m going to do three things. I will take care of them. I will teach them. And I will fall in love with them. Check. Check. And check. On Monday, April 9th, my students will enter into a relationship with state testing that will last for years and years. It can easily morph into a dysfunctional one—if they let it. I want them to know that they are in charge—not the test. The information from the test will be useful for instructional purposes, but it does not define them as people. As I walk around monitoring and encouraging with my upbeat (but not too upbeat…lol) facial expressions, I will be thinking about that first day of school and the promises I made. Did I keep them? Did I hit the mark? Yes! Perfection? No. As an imperfect perfectionist I’m not even close, but I’ll keep moving forward, making the best decisions I can every step of the way!



Still Having Fun!
Lola Jollie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts