Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Student Engagement with Whole Brain Teaching by Kim Reza



Student Engagement with Whole Brain Teaching


Did you give Whole Brain Teaching a try? Are you hesitant in fear of failure? Did you think to yourself, my kids would never buy into that model of teaching? I promise you, if done right, this method can work in most every setting.

“Memory is not stored in a single area of the brain but is broken apart into visual images, emotion, movement, and other sensory areas of the brain” (Willis, 2007; Wolfe, 2015).”

When I first started implementing this strategy in my classroom, I focused solely on the memorization of facts with micro teach. It wasn’t until mid-year, when my students stopped wanting to participate that I realized there was a need for strategies that increased student engagement. As I researched this problem, I found several topics to address this concern.

“I don’t love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful.” -Natalie Portman


Here are a few of the strategies I use in my classroom:

1.The scoreboard:
The scoreboard is a central feature of the Whole Brain Teacher’s classroom. It is an integral part of class management when working with younger students and is critical in keeping older students focused. It basically operates on good ole positive and negative reinforcement. It is simple to understand and use.

STEP ONE - On one side of the whiteboard draw a "Smiley face" next to a "Frowny face."

STEP TWO - Draw a line between the two faces creating a column under each face.

STEP THREE - When students are paying attention, and participating with gestures and you are happy with the way things are going put a check in the Smiley face column and have them cheer your approval by saying an enthusiastic "OH YEA" in unison (known as 'the "MIGHTY OH YEA").

STEP FOUR - When student performance/behavior is not up to par put a check under the Frowny face and have the students moan a collective "OH NO" while wiping away an imaginary tear.

STEP FIVE - At the end of class add up the checks under the respective faces. More checks in the Happy face column means the class has earned some kind of reward (I usually use the ClassDojo store as a reward) More checks under the frown face means a “negative” reinforcement (for me it is just a reminder for them to get more involved. The frowny face is consequence enough).

IMPORTANT NOTE! Do not have a total of more than three checks in in the Frowny face column in excess of the number in the Smiley face otherwise the "SCOREBOARD" loses effectiveness. Students become resentful and lose interest in the "game."

2.Kagan structures:
Quiz-Quiz- Trade, Timed Round Robin, Fan and Pick

3.Make your own movement and definition:
After students become familiar with micro teach, I release my control of leading the lesson and allow them (individually, with partners, or small groups) to come up their own definition and movement for the academic term.


If you would like to read a more in-depth piece on Whole Brain Teaching, check out this website: http://wholebrainteaching.com/


For the love of teaching,
Kimberly Reza


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts