Friday, March 23, 2018

Self-Observation + Self Evaluation

Self-Observation + Self-Evaluation!




Image result for teaching reflectionHave you ever wondered how to bring your WHY back into your practice? Once upon a time you were driven and knew your purpose; fired up to make a change! Somewhere along our path, we can lose the passion that fueled our purpose and we forget WHY we began the journey in the first place. The daily demands of our occupation can make us lose focus, become overwhelmed, and focus on the negative instead of the positive. Let’s bring the positivity back and focus on our #1, the key to the future, which are the children. 

Reflecting on our work will enhance its meaning.

You are making a big impact in the lives of others, so why not better the practice that is changing our future. Applying effective techniques to learn about your practice can assist greatly in improving your teaching practice. You will be challenged, but it will definitely take you back to your WHY. Once you’re there, you will be recharged to do better in improving your perspective along with enhancing the lives of the learners in your classroom. You will now be enforcing a systematic approach on professional development within your own teaching space.

"And suddenly you know... it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings." ~unknown


Many times I look back and reflect on my teaching day and find the High Point and the Low Point of the day. The High Point of the day is the high light of the day, the moment that brought me the most joy and the Low Point being the most difficult/ frustrating part of my day. I look back and think, “The lesson went well. Students were focused and grasped the concept that was taught.” or “The lesson was a complete disaster. Students were not paying attention and were off task.”  I don’t do much reflecting on that point. But recently, as a Spotlight Teacher, we were given the task to do some discussions, frowns, and smiles all captured the joy and frustrations of our everyday learning. I also found myself questioning my approach in teaching, which has led to me down memory lane within my educational journey by analyzing of our teaching, along with student talk. The process had a purpose, led me to take notes, record lessons, and reflect upon the notes after my teaching. It was enlightening to see how the systematic approach led me to observe for celebrations, problems, and solutions. I was not only looking through a lens of good or bad lessons, I was actually analyzing what was happening, how it was happening, and why it was happening. Click here for a link to the protocol.


Thinking back, I had a purpose that was ignited by passion… a passion that made learning fun and engaging. Even when things went wrong or I’d get lost, I’d stay positive, reflect and take a different direction. As I look back, those were the paths that held the most beauty. I was able to take in sights that before were unseen and learned a lot more about me and the direction I was taking in life. My practice is far from perfect because in life there is always room for professional growth. Every school year is different; there may be changes in the curriculum, changes in our school focus, but more importantly, every group of students is going to be different. As I begin to realize how great CHANGE is, I can’t help but think of a quote I once read, “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” I hope you reflect on your educational journey, find your WHY, and blossom into the beautiful souls you are…Teachers changing the world!

Live, Love, Teach!

Hilda Sanchez  

                                      




No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts