Monday, March 19, 2018

Flexible What??



                               Flexible What??

If you have read any  of my former blog posts, you may have figured out the theme  is  classroom  management.  My group of wonderfully curious and spirited kindergartners also have some BIG personalities. I have used this opportunity to change things up just a little bit (!)...
   

Necessity is the mother of all invention - Plato

 In my case, my situation necessitated change, as flexible seating has been around for decades. I first read about flexible seating through several blogs I follow, but I never thought it would be for me.  I am particular and a little bit controlling (sound familiar teachers??).  My thoughts were that maybe I am too controlling and my students need some choices in where they work...


"Flexible seating is about giving our students choice and power over where they learn and work" - Mr. Greg


I didn't go out and buy stuff, instead I  worked with what I  had  already: pillows, bath mats, small chairs, trays,  and the 4 kidney bean tables in my classroom.  I had the custodian lower two  of my tables and  raise another one.  I  left one table  regular size with chairs.  The kids were  excited to walk  in the room that first day of change!  I did purchase some flexible seating posters on TPT for  a couple of dollars,  only because I was out of time to make my own.  These posters helped me introduce the rules of flexible seating. I  moved my whole  group rug to the middle of the classroom  and the tables to the outskirts of the room.  It  has been only a couple of weeks since the change, but I am so far  embracing  this new system (and so are the kids). I haven't given up the tables and chairs...yet!  I've got both feet  in,  but I haven't jumped in completely, and  I  can see myself doing so very soon.



       If you would like to  read a more indepth piece on flexible seating, check out this blog post:
The Kindergarten Smorgasboard - Flexible Seating

                                                            Happy and Positive Teaching!
                                                                         Erin  Grebel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts