Thursday, March 15, 2018

Curiosity

I have learned my class is curious; they always want to know more.  They ask so many questions. Sometimes questions I don’t even know the answers to.  But I encourage them to ask and I let them know we will learn together.



“Don’t just teach your children to read. Teach them to question what they read. Teach them to question everything.”  
-George Carlin

Learn, explore and change

We know when students are asking the questions themselves, they are learning, exploring, and making a change!  The skill of asking questions is not easy for young students and even for adults.  It is a high-level form of thinking.  Questions keep your mind going and can change your perspective on a concept.  It is so powerful and I’m so excited when I see young minds, like the ones in my classroom, not settling for what’s given or shared with them but questioning me and each other.

“Why?”  

This three letter word is a powerful tool that can make someone stop and think even more.  In my classroom, I love when I hear my students ask each other why.  It allows the other person to share their thought or work on a deeper explanation.  This question can be used in all subjects and all grade levels.   

These are some other questions/phrases my students use to question each other:

-Why?
-How do you know?
-Can you prove it?
-Can you tell me more about ___?

This blog was a great read about five simple and easy steps to help build better questioners in your classroom.  I hope you enjoy it the way I did!
  

Feel free to comment below and let me know about the questioning happening in your class!


      


Always Learning,
Sabrina Blackwood


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts