Friday, September 15, 2017

Making Connections with Science!



Making Connections with Science!
We are at an exciting time in education. Many teachers are starting to transition to using NGSS in their classrooms. If you're not familiar with the Next Generation Science Standards, or you aren't really sure where to begin then keep reading to find out more.


The standards are divided into three dimensions; practices,  crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas.
This year I will be using the crosscutting concepts as a way to embed science in all content areas.  Why did I decide to start with the crosscutting concepts?  These concepts link science domains together as well as link to other content areas. You can get more bang for your buck here. If you're like me then your instructional time is valuable.  Connecting science concepts to what you are already teaching saves time!

Learn more about the seven crosscutting Concepts here.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.        - Carl Sagan

Students are ready to learn. It is my mission use help students make connections and increase their curiosity.    


Each month, I will share with you a STEAM activity that I have tried in my classroom.  I will give you tips and strategies to help you get started.  Next month, I will look at the Crosscutting Concept, cause and effect, in relationship to natural disasters.  My students are currently working on creating models of homes built to withstand earthquakes!  I hope you will check back soon to learn more.
Let’s connect,
Alina
Alina Padilla.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts