Thursday, September 21, 2017

Developing Student Talk



Developing Student Talk
Teacher poses question.  Teacher asks students to turn and talk to their partner. Student A shares, student B shares.  Student A and B, “Okay teacher, we’re done.”


Talking Versus Conversation

Have you experienced a scenario similar to this?  Have you wondered, how meaningful was that conversation?   I know I have seen this many times in my classroom.  I think to myself, they just put their idea out there which is great but I want them to do more with their ideas and responses.  

#ModelModelModel

How do I get my students to participate in conversations?


If I expect to hear conversations in my classroom, I need to show them.  Modeling is key!  
  • I begin by teaching my students the meaning of a conversation.  It is a discussion between two or more people. It is a way to express oneself with words.  Within that discussion, I could agree or respectfully disagree.  
  • From that point, I give good examples of a good conversation and examples that do not show conversation is happening between people like the example provided above.  We discuss reasons why they are good or not good examples of conversation.
  • I also hold a conversation with a student in front of the class.  I preselect a student who I know would share beyond giving a simple response. As the student and I are speaking to each other, I ask the class to look closely at what we are doing.  We look at each other, we add onto each other’s thoughts or ideas, and we can ask questions.
  • I show students how a conversation can continue by asking their partners questions.  We begin with questions like, why do you think that?  How do you know?  As the year goes on, the questions change to, how can you support your answer?  What evidence can you show?
  • I praise students who are modeling conversations and extending their ideas by speaking more about them.  Children love being praised!  They want to try it out and get that recognition as well.
This is just a starting point that has helped me to get students to converse versus I share, you share, we’re done.  Once there is an understanding of my expectations when we discuss, then I begin teaching Kagan Structures.       
Always Learning,
Sabrina Blackwood






































0817171448-1.jpg
Click here to schedule a visitlogosmall spotlight classrooms.png
Sabrina.Blackwood@omsd.net
OMSD.jpg
twitter logo.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts