Thursday, October 19, 2017

We like to move it, move it


We like to move it, move it
Have you had students begin to fidget with things in their desk?  Have you had students get squirmy in their seats?  If so, I have a fun and fast Kagan Structure that can release some of that energy our students experience.   

1017170846.jpg

Learning can be fun!

As a teacher, it is very easy to do most of the talking. When that happens, I often wonder how much my children are learning.  My students love to talk and they love to move around my classroom.  They get to do just that when they participate in this discussion strategy.  

“If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.” -Ignacio Estrada

Mix-Pair-Share


Mix Pair Share is one of my favorite Kagan Structures.  It is also a structure that can make my class loud but it is worth trying!  This structure can be strategically planned within your lessons but it can also be used when you notice your students need some movement in their bodies.  Since I teach first grade, I can easily identify when my students need a break.  What is nice about Mix Pair Share is they get to walk around the classroom, partner up with someone new, and engage in a discussion with that student.  I love to use music to get the students to move around the classroom.  Once the music stops, they quickly partner up with the person closest to them. I pose a question, let students know who will begin the conversation, and they begin to talk until I signal for their attention.  To make things more exciting, I have students repeat this process to share with a few other students.  By the time they get back to their seats, they have spoken to one to three students in the classroom.  They are ready to continue our lesson with more ideas than they started with.  It can get loud, it can get crazy, but the discussions held get them thinking more!
Always Learning,
0817171448-1.jpgSabrina Blackwood




No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts