Monday, August 28, 2017

To Clip Chart or Not to Clip Chart?



To Clip Chart or Not to Clip Chart?
Clip charts are a popular behavior management/monitoring strategy used in classrooms, especially in  the primary grades.  I have  successfully used one for  most of  my 19 years in teaching kindergarten.  Lately, they have been getting a bad rap in the teacher blogosphere.  As I consider myself a constant work in progress, I  decided to research the pros and cons of the popular color-coded clip chart...


IMG_4402 (1).JPG
Behavior management is the most ignored topic in teacher prep programs, yet it can be the ONE thing that can make or break an entire school year!

Here are some of the cons I have read regarding the use of clip charts in the classroom:
  • They only monitor behavior, not change it (my response: other  students  see their classmates get acknowledged for desirable  and undesirable behavior and that alone may help them monitor their own behavior).
  • They are demeaning and demoralizing as it is a public display (my response: I believe that it is how the teacher handles this that can be demeaning and demoralizing).
  • They don’t work for those extreme behaviors (my response: extreme behaviors necessitate more significant interventions. There is no one-size-fits-all  approach to behavior management).
My use of the clip chart has morphed over time.  It has been successful for me because I show consistency and I focus on the behavior, not the child. I am careful with my word choice and tone when acknowledging undesirable behaviors. Whatever system a teacher decides to use to help manage behavior, he or she must have his or her own buy-in and must follow through, every time.

That is the question.” -William Shakespeare


I am on a quest to focus on the positive behaviors my students exhibit in the classroom using a clip chart.

2012.jpg

My school is a PBIS school  (Positive Behavior Intervention and Support).  One of our goals is the 5:1 ratio: teachers will acknowledge students’ positive behavior 5 times more often than acknowledging undesirable behavior.  I have changed my clip chart to focus on the three school-wide expectations we have: respect, responsibility, and kindness.  I  have removed the “warning” and “time-out” cards and left the “ready to learn” card. I started by focusing on only one of the behaviors explaining and giving examples of what the attribute means, and slowly added the others.  My students know that all three are equal, and that they can move amongst them throughout the day.  Some students may have to start over and get ready to learn again, but they know they will always have that  opportunity to exhibit those positive behaviors and be acknowledged for them. This system has helped me with that  5:1 ratio; if one student is starting over, I am sure to acknowledge 5 others who are displaying those desired behaviors.  I feel optimistic that  this new system will encourage positive behavior within my classroom. If  you would like a copy of my clip chart, please email me!
Happy and Positive Teaching!
Erin Grebel


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts