Wednesday, February 7, 2024

HOT Questions (Higher Order Thinking) - "The New Classroom Instruction That Works"

 



Welcome to 'Huddle Time' - the purpose of this time is to provide a short video that offers student centered ideas to consider for your classroom.


HUDDLE TIME VIDEO #11

Video


Today's Huddle Time focuses on 

    -  A new book I am reading "The New Classroom Instruction That Works" by Bryan Goodwin and Kristin Rouleau, 2023.



The book examines six phases of learning and 14 teaching strategies that support them.  The 105 research studies referenced in the book encompass all grade levels and subject areas - which means there is something for everyone in this book.

The book has reinforced several strategies I currently employ in my classroom.  At the same time I am challenged to close learning gaps and support the success for each of my students through the use of researched based teaching practices identified in the book.

As I start my journey, I am challenged with the strategy of 'High Level Questions'.  The strategy is embedded in the phase of learning where students are trying to make sense of their learning.  In an effort to be more strategic in my questions, I am asking students to consider 3 questions during the lesson - a comprehension question, a strategy question, and a connection question.  The purpose of the three questions is for students to think about their learning.


This week's questions - Math 8 - Resource Link

This week's questions - Integrated Math I - Resource Link


I will give an update next month on my progress with this strategy and where I am headed with other strategies from this book.


Remember to believe in yourself, believe that you matter, and believe that you make a difference in students' lives every time that you interact with them.


Teaching and still loving it,      

Kevin Stott                               

              De Anza Middle School

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr. Stott, I have been reading your blog posts this school year and they have been really helpful. I'm a second year teacher and I often find myself looking for strategies I can implement in my classroom and when I read your blog posts you always offer something new I can tailor to use with my 5th graders. I just wanted to express my appreciation for your work and your willingness to help other teachers in our district grow. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write here and share new ideas with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts