Friday, February 16, 2024

Gradually Learning to Let Go, Part 3


The image above accurately represents my efforts to utilize the Gradual Release instructional framework in my classroom. As such, I will address each term below the surface and how it relates to my learning journey.

Persistence: I have no problem learning a new teaching strategy when I am in a staff meeting or in a professional development session surrounded by my colleagues (a.k.a. my teacher friends). The difficulty comes when I take that new learning back to my classroom and try it out with my own students. Raise your hand if you agree...LOL!

Failure: "First Attempt in Learning" is an acronym for FAIL that I introduced to my students. It truly resonates with me. As I s-l-o-w-l-y and methodically implement the Gradual Release framework, I have found that things don't always run as smoothly as I hoped. Sometimes I release students before they are ready and sometimes I hold on too tightly when I should let go. 

Sacrifice: I think of sacrifice in terms of time. I am devoting time to regularly rereading and reviewing my "instructional manual": the book, Better Learning Through Structured Teaching. (Incidentally, our OMSD experts in Curriculum & Instruction have prepared several self-paced Nearpods. If, like me, you enjoy independent learning, you can find two classes on the Gradual Release Framework by going to the Curriculum & Instruction tab on Symbaloo and then scrolling down to "Self-Paced Nearpods.")

Disappointment: There have been several times when disappointment set in. I have often felt disappointed in myself when I expected too much too soon of my students or when I didn't "release" them to work independently when they were probably ready to.

Good Habits: I have developed the habit of being persistent. Positive self-talk is helpful. One saying I try to have at the forefront of my mind is "Write your successes in cement and your failures in sand."

Hard Work: Learning is hard work. I need to remember to be as patient with myself as a learner as I am with my students when they are introduced to new concepts and skills.

Dedication: I am 100% dedicated to the success of my students. If learning a new skill, concept, or framework enables me to be a better teacher, then count me in.

At a recent staff meeting, Roni Weink and Laura Smart trained my colleagues and me on how to apply the Gradual Release Framework to a Wonders lesson. On Thursday, it's our turn. Our administrators are going to observe my third-grade teammates and me trying out our new-found knowledge of gradual release. My lesson is going to focus on how to determine a character's point of view. You'll have to wait until next month's blog to see how my lesson went. See you then!


Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!










Lola E. Jollie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts