Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Digital Learning Log - A Weekly Reflection

 


Each summer I come up with ideas of what I want to try in my classroom - some come to fruition and some do not.  One of the things I have wanted my students to do is to reflect on their work - but this reflection time just never seemed to make it into my classroom routine.  I finally decided that I must commit to giving my students time in class to do this and to, better yet, give them a template.

So, I committed to every Friday giving students time in class to reflect on their weekly work.  In addition, I found a digital notebook that students use (see below).

To date, this deliberate instructional decision has been really positive - from both a student viewpoint and a teacher viewpoint.  For students, this time allows them to take a deep breath, look a their math work for the week, and make some written statements.  For me, I now must deliberately allow students 15 minutes on Friday to complete their weekly learning log.

Another benefit that I have reaped from this instructional decision each week is that I learn even more about my students - both mathematically and personally.  Yes - personally as well.  I intentionally ask a question each week that asks students to tell me what they are planning on doing during the weekend.  I have learned so many new things about my students with this simple question - from students going to sporting tournaments to visiting family in Los Angeles to students riding a bull - it is all so great when the following week I can ask students specific questions about their weekend.  Just another attempt to make connections with my students throughout the year.

A few student samples:



Natalie - Period 1













Cristina - Period 2 (Newcomer Student)


Here is the original Digital Learning Log that I then modified for my classes during the first semester (sorry, I found it through my many Google searches and cannot find the original source at this time - I do know that it was free and when I find the source will update this blog to give credit to the originally creator.)

Original Digital Learning Log

I took this resource and modified it so that it looks like this now:

My Version of the Digital Learning Log

Students created a copy of my Digital Learning Log and linked it to my original copy so that when I made any changes then their copy also got the changes - big shout out to Ms. Mary-Elizabeth Quan for sharing this skill during a Coaching Collaborative Meeting earlier this school year!  Note:  if you would like to learn this valuable skill, then here is a short 5 minute video that she put together:

Digital Notebook Linking by Ms. Mary-Elizabeth Quan


My plan is to continue this practice during the second semester - as I find value in this practice from having students reflect on their work to learning more about my students on a personal level (in a low risk activity).  My hope is that students will value this experience as the year progresses and be able to take what they learn from it and apply it to their studies next year in high school.


Please reach out if you have any questions or want to come and observe my classroom.


Give yourself grace during these difficult times and when you have then give yourself more grace.


Teaching and still loving it,

Kevin Stott                         

De Anza Middle School    

Math 8 & Integrated Math I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts