Tuesday, December 1, 2020

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade!

I was recently privy to one of my husband's weekly work meetings. Like many companies nowadays, the company is global--bringing together people from widely differing backgrounds and educational experiences into a virtual environment where current issues can be addressed and resolved.  Like a fly
on the wall, I listened, from the perspective of an educator, to how he and his colleagues engaged with one another and what the subject of their conversation was. What skills had become "second nature" to this group of adults that I could intentionally teach to my students? I discovered that their seemingly run-of-the-mill conversation was actually a treasure trove of useful information that had short-term and long-term classroom applications. I concluded that, whether intentionally or not, in many ways, remote learning is preparing our students for their future by reinforcing life skills; some of these have historically been a part of our unwritten social skills curriculum (i.e. classroom rules/etiquette) and some have emerged thanks to our new normal. Even in the midst of a worldwide pandemic, teachers are still turning lemons into lemonade! Here's how:

1) Our students are learning to listen carefully and speak when it is appropriate. It can be difficult on Zoom to determine when someone has finished speaking, especially without those physical cues that we are accustomed to in our "real" classroom. As a consequence, unintentional interruptions are unavoidable. Therefore, I've introduced my students to responses such as:

  • I'm sorry for interrupting.
  • My apologies. I didn't realize you were still speaking.
  • Oh, pardon me. Why don't you go ahead and share first?
2) Our students are learning the importance of creating and maintaining a "professional" workspace. Creating a viable workspace enables students to mentally prepare for the day's work. 

3) Our students are realizing that even though they are "Zooming" from home, they still need to dress in a suitable manner. I won't wear my pajamas if you promise not to wear yours.

4) Our students are learning to stay on topic. Birdwalking is neither a college nor a career readiness skill, but knowing how to add pertinent and meaningful input to a conversation, via chat, Flipgrid, or otherwise, is integral. 

5) Our students are learning to become self-aware. Students need to be especially self-aware during an asynchronous work time when their teacher isn't there to assign a break. Students need to ask themselves questions such as:
  • Do I need to give my eyes a break from the computer?
  • Do I need to stretch?
  • Do I need a restroom, water, or snack break?

As educators, we know that the intention of our Common Core State Standards is to ready our students to successfully attend college and/or begin a career. I would argue that this time of remote learning is positively benefiting them in ways we perhaps have not considered. Is this the ideal situation? Of course not. I miss the old days. That being said, the half-empty glass of lemonade can also be seen as half-full. 

Still Making Lemonade,




                                                                        Lola E. Jollie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts