Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Summer Self-Care


  
            Self-care is always important for all people, and teacher self-care is a necessary need most of us probably do not partake in; at least I don’t practice self-care as much as I should. I feel very grateful to have summers off, and I am going to use this time not only to spend time with my kids but take care of myself.  During the school year, my stress level intensifies and at times it feels like I am not thinking as clearly because of it.  I have done some research on how to help myself, and I want to pass along this information.  

Reading Books
      We always tell our students to read every single day because it helps build vocabulary, become a better speller, better writer, and improve comprehension.  All of this is true and it is true for adults.  I remember during my teacher credentialing program a professor explained why it is so important for teachers to read regularly.  Teachers are exposed to student work which is not high level and has errors.  By no fault of the child they are learning, but student work cannot be the only material we are reading.  We also read the same book year after year.  Our minds can become stagnant. I notice this happening when my mind feels cloudy.  I cannot remember how to spell certain words or I am not as quick.  So part of my self-care plan  is going to be carving out at least 45 minutes each day to read.  My goal is to get through one book a week, and read all different types of books. It helps to build knowledge in different areas and become a well-rounded learner.   This way I not only feeding my brain but am also setting time aside for myself.

 Learn a New Skill
     Often times adult learning is forgotten about.  According to experts, learning a new skill strengthens the neuron pathways in our brain, and this causes our brain to become plastic, it has the ability to change.  So the more we learn the more plastic our brains become. Our brains will work a bit faster, and as we age keeping a quick mind is really important.  With that being said, we teachers have been graced with time to learn a new skill. For me, I will be working on teaching strategies.  I will be moving grade levels, and I’m so excited to learn new standards and curriculum.  After my kids go to bed I will be able to freshen up on Math skills that I haven't practiced in years, get familiar with Science standards, and read over American History.  I have been teaching single subject sixth grade Language Arts for the past six years, and a lot has changed in the curriculum.  I am eager for the change and learning how a different group of teachers work together.

Setting time aside to take care of ourselves is important because we mean so much too so many.  Teacher self-care will boost intelligence, release stress, and create a positive and healthy environment.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana.
    You made a great argument for investing time into our personal and professional growth! =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Most Viewed Posts